Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2013 08:00

XPS 10 battery usage when sleeping

I am going to start storing it without the dock to find out if it is related, but I am having severe battery drain when leaving the tablet asleep.

Yesterday, I took it off the charger with 100% charged tablet and dock batteries.  I also made sure to turn the screen off after it came on when I unplugged the device (at one time I thought my problem was because of never opening the tablet/keyboard dock after unplugging).  When I got to work, I put it in my desk, and didn't open it all day, and left it in my desk.  This morning I come in, and the battery on the tablet is around 9%, and the dock is somewhat down, although not so much as the tablet itself.

Previously, I've had many a time where I've stored the tablet docked and closed, in a protected neoprene case, only to open it some time after lunch and discover the tablet to be very hot to the touch.  When I open the tablet, the battery on the tablet tends to be below 4% remaining.  Sometimes the dock battery is below 20%, sometimes it appears to have gotten so hot that it no longer registers with windows (at that point I have to let it cool down and fully reboot the tablet.

I have let the tablet sit outside of the dock all day previously, an didn't seem to have the same problem, but it is very inconvenient to store this way, as 90% of my reason to purchase this tablet was so I would have the keyboard when I needed it (often), and occasionally to undock and use as a true tablet.

Is anybody else having issues similarly with theirs?  I feel like in some cases, the battery draw / heated batteries are related to being connected to WiFi, but I haven't spent time testing it in airplane mode.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

June 17th, 2013 17:00

One thing to try is go to the Device Manager and disable "allow this device to wake the computer" for everything. Then only the power button will wake the laptop. Note that some laptops will close the screen but NOT continue to sleep when put into sleep mode. Others will allow the screen to remain on when the cover is closed. I have found that these type problems will vary with time. Things can be OK, but get flaky after and OS update, etc. I have found that using hibernate is much more reliable, but requires more time to wake up.

11 Posts

June 26th, 2013 16:00

Not to get anyone's hopes up, but I just updated to Windows RT 8.1 and so far haven't had any of the screen wake issues with the track pad enabled.  Hopefully an updated driver or something will have cured this problem.  I'll post again in a couple of days with an update on batter and if it really fixed the problem or not.

12 Posts

June 26th, 2013 16:00

I also have this same issue, I think all XPS 10 w/dock users have the same issue.  I have not seen a very good solution other than not using sleep and shutting down instead.

12 Posts

June 26th, 2013 17:00

You got my hopes up :)

June 27th, 2013 03:00

I contacted dell support after reading this thread.

I gave them them link to the thread as well, og they wantd my xps in for repair, so gonna be intresting what they find out.

12 Posts

June 28th, 2013 14:00

I also downloaded 8.1 and the sleep function still wakes up as soon as I close the dock to the screen.

12 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 09:00

It seems to be that the windows button is one way the device is woken from sleep mode.  I noticed if I put the tablet to sleep and close the tablet to the dock the display will come on before the tablet is touching the dock.  It seems to me that when closing the dock hinge is putting enough pressure on the windows button (which is covered by the hinge) to wake the tablet.  If true, since modifying the hinge seems unlikely, we would need a way to disable the windows button from being able to wake a sleeping tablet.  

September 2nd, 2013 11:00

I have had an XPS 10 for just one week and was experiencing all the same symptoms. I tried everything, including installing 8.1 Preview, disabling devices, even tried applying different drivers. After the software attempts failed I did some more testing. To find the cause I attached the XPS and dock to an external monitor and set the close lid action to "Do Nothing." By (gently) pressing on the top of the lid I could see on the external monitor that the screen was indeed being touched by the keys AND the keys were being pressed by the lid. This means there is a physical problem with the design of this device - the screen and keyboard are too close to each other when it is closed. In addition, the keyboard and screen are not being deactivated in software when the lid is closed. I have found that applying a small (2mm thick, 13mm diameter) rubber "spacer" to the bottom left and right corner (so 2 spacers in total) prevents the screen and keyboard becoming close enough to interfere with each other. The device stays off and so the battery does not drain anymore. This is a bit like the iPhone 4 "bumper" fix. Perhaps Dell should supply us with keyboard bumpers?! Please advise if this works for others.

11 Posts

September 2nd, 2013 14:00

While I think this may be part of the cause, I don't thinks its the root cause. I can leave my XPS10 in the dock and open sitting on my desk. From time to time it will wake up and display the lock screen. I have my table lock after 10 mins. So if it has been less than ten minutes, it will show the lock screen for a second, then automatically unlock and show whatever was being display prior. Then it follows the "when to turn the display off and sleep" settings. If it has been more than 10 mins, it will show the lock screen for about 30 seconds then sleep again. I might try throwing some small rubber bumbers on the keyboard to see, but I don't think it is the underlying issue of this.

September 3rd, 2013 01:00

I don't think I got it waking up unless the lid was closed. Like I said, I tired a lot of software tweaks previously and one of those may have helped. What I have also noticed is the "phantom" screen presses which occasionally happen. I don't know it these can cause the device to wake but I suspect they can. On my device these only happen when the screen is smudgy. If I give the screen a good clean with a dry cloth then the phantom screen presses stop happening. I think... Let me know if a cleaner screen means less wakeups :)

1 Message

November 1st, 2013 12:00

same problem here. actually, it's become super more epic worse since rt 8.1. the dell xps 10 is just generally a giant piece of sh!t

No Events found!