Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 18th, 2013 07:00

XPS 12 screen doesnt rotate after upgrading to Windows 8.1+ plus other wobbles

Hello All

I took the plunge and updated to windows 8.1 on my XPS 12 last night, the first problem was the right click options missing from the desktop.
this was remedied by updating the drivers for the cypress touchpad. then I discovered no matter what I did the centrino wireless N 6235 card would not enable. so I removed this from the device manager and re-detected in windows this is currently stable however the Dell Support site recommends updating it, so I have downloaded the driver but when I try to install it I am told this cannot be installed on my system?

more annoying than anything is the auto-rotate function on my flip screen isnt working any more....

Any ideas?

5 Posts

January 6th, 2014 07:00

Unfortunately, my situation remains unchanged---but I am trying the suggestion you made about avoiding MS products to see if that works.    I declined to send my laptop in after learning I would have NO laptop while Dell looks into the problem using my system.......  that, for me, just won't work.   Fortunately I have a bit of time left on my Return policy..... if it's not resolved by that time, I will return my Dell and pick up the Vaio equivalent.    that would be too bad, because otherwise I am very happy with it......

1 Message

January 7th, 2014 10:00

I have had no problems other then the autorotate spontaneously not working, usually when using IE in metro... 9Q33 xps 12 on windows 8.1.  A restart or sleep/wakeup always fixes the problem.

2 Posts

January 12th, 2014 18:00

Yup, having the same problem. Didn't update to 8.1 for over a month after getting the 9Q33. Then took the plunge. The auto-rotate is now dysfunctional in the way described by others. A restart almost always fixes the issue. And the rotation works fine in the beginning. Then, if you stay at a particular orientation for a while, it's as if it goes to sleep & never wakes up. Only solution seems to be a restart.

Another clue for support: let's say the autorotation dies when in portrait mode. Switching the screen to the laptop mode does reorient the screen to the landscape mode. However, if I flip back to the tablet mode, the screen returns to the "locked" portrait mode. Only a restart seems to fix the problem.

Hope Dell is getting somewhere with this issue.

Thanks.

January 18th, 2014 05:00

Dell / Sandeep
do you have any updates on this matter? its still not working and its eerily close to my warranty expiring.

please update!

1.5K Posts

January 20th, 2014 08:00

Dell / Sandeep
do you have any updates on this matter? its still not working and its eerily close to my warranty expiring.

please update!

Hi DREAMENGINEER,

We are working on the issue right now as well to ensure its rectification with a driver/firmware update. I am also awaiting confirmation from the users in USA which are facing the same issue so we can replicate the issue on the lab as well.

We would keep you posted as soon as we get any developments. We truly appreciate the patience and cooperation that you have shown in this regards. 

2 Posts

January 20th, 2014 10:00

"I am also awaiting confirmation from the users in USA which are facing the same issue so we can replicate the issue on the lab as well."

What do you mean by this? Can you elaborate? You seem to be saying you haven't yet been able to replicate the problem. Which then leads me to wonder how you are able to work on the issue.

1 Message

January 27th, 2014 11:00

Following up on VishG's comment, Sandeep, can you please clearly explain whether or not this issue can be reproduced in testing?

I updated my 9Q33 to windows 8.1 and I am having similar screen rotation issues. I have read through the forum posts and updated to the "latest" drivers that were provided.

Upon a full restart, the screen rotation works. However after a few sleep/hibernate/wake cycles, screen rotation fails to work until another full restart. I find this issue very annoying for a form factor that is designed to be able to change orientation.

Is there a way to tweak the screen orientation sensitivity?

6 Posts

January 30th, 2014 16:00

And its not just the xps12 -my new XPS 11 (9P33) screen autorotate function doesn't work since the machine auto-updated last week to windows 8.1   I am concerned Dell don't seem to know what to do. I am not going to accept anything less than complete resolution of this problem as I spent 1400 euro and it is less than three weeks old...  Help please!

10 Posts

January 31st, 2014 13:00

My XPS12 9Q33 has the same problem where autorotate stops working after a while (typically 3-5 resumes) I then have to reboot before it Works properly again.

31 Posts

February 4th, 2014 16:00

I encounter the same issue on my system. In tablet mode, auto-orientation quits working. Reboot temporaliy helps.

Any news on a fix for this issue?

5 Posts

February 6th, 2014 10:00

As a "second" to the question "Is there anything else that can be done?" I have been waiting on a resolution to this since November 19th.   Because I bought it at Costco and have a 90 day return, I notified Costco about the problem, and am waiting to see if Dell resolves this before February 18th. 

Other than the rotation issue (which, for me, is huge), I like it very much, and will hate to see Dell lose a decades-long customer....but after an initial response that Dell is doing all they can and escalating this to other Dell technical staff, I don't see anything that makes me think there's much hope to have this resolved by the 18th, which is a shame.

Good luck on getting this issue resolved.   I haven't given up yet, but in 11 more days, this XPS 12 will be headed back to Costco.

1 Message

February 6th, 2014 10:00

Hi Sandeep - I recently purchased the XPS 12 9Q33 and am having the same issue. The support rep I spoke to said he is unaware of the issue and would have to escalate to Level 3 support.  It is obvious that you are aware of the issue.  Is there anything that can be done?

6 Posts

February 6th, 2014 12:00

Well, my xps 12 seems to be working now I've done all the updates on the Microsoft site and all but the audio drive update on the Dell site. That and ensuring that it's fully folded into the tablet position. Hope this works for you.

10 Posts

February 6th, 2014 13:00

What do you mean by "on the Microsoft site"?

Do you mean Windows update (the application), or are you talking about drivers that you get from a Microsoft website? Do you have a link to that site?

I am unaware of any drivers I should get from Microsoft.

31 Posts

February 6th, 2014 13:00

This seems to have fixed it for me as well. I let Windows update search for alle optional updates and installed them. There were also 3 Windows 8.1 drivers in the list.

So far, it seems to work OK.

No Events found!