Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 18th, 2013 07:00

XPS 12 screen doesnt rotate after upgrading to Windows 8.1+ plus other wobbles

Hello All

I took the plunge and updated to windows 8.1 on my XPS 12 last night, the first problem was the right click options missing from the desktop.
this was remedied by updating the drivers for the cypress touchpad. then I discovered no matter what I did the centrino wireless N 6235 card would not enable. so I removed this from the device manager and re-detected in windows this is currently stable however the Dell Support site recommends updating it, so I have downloaded the driver but when I try to install it I am told this cannot be installed on my system?

more annoying than anything is the auto-rotate function on my flip screen isnt working any more....

Any ideas?

1.5K Posts

October 18th, 2013 07:00

Hi Dreamengineer,

We truly regret the inconvenience that has been caused to you. I understand Windows 8.1 has just been released and there would be some compatibility issues.

Kindly update the network driver from this link below:

Network Driver

Also, you can update the latest Intel driver for your system:

Intel HD driver

Keep us posted with the results so we can advise you further.

October 18th, 2013 15:00

Hi Sandeep

thanks for the feedback, I do appreciate the fact its a new blend of the windows OS hence why I am asking for assistance.

I have tried both Downloads, the HD driver installed OK, now the auto-rotate button displays on the screen, however it still does not rotate my screen :(

the Network driver is useless also as its for the Bluetooth kit and I already have a later driver on the system..... it fails to install

anything else I should try?

October 21st, 2013 02:00

still waiting for an update on my now non-rotating screen....

October 22nd, 2013 01:00

*Bump*
I am still unable to flip my dell xps 12 using the screen since upgrading to 8.1......

13 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 07:00

I have exactly the same issue. I've updated all of the drivers but have had to switch off the screen rotate facility.

Come on Dell give us a solution.

October 22nd, 2013 08:00

thanks BigJC

I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong....

1.5K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 10:00

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. We truly regret for the inconvenience that has been caused to you. I understand that 8.1 updates might not be compatible with certain hardware and hardware manufacturers are constantly working to come up with the latest drivers and firmware to address these issues.

However, this takes time to understand the cause of the issue and implement a solution for the same. We appreciate your patience in the same.

Please check this BIOS update released yesterday and let us know if it helps in improving this issue:

BIOS update XPS 12 (9Q23)

BIOS update XPS 12(9Q33)

Keep us posted with the results so we can advise you further.

October 23rd, 2013 01:00

Hi Sandeep,
I have upgraded the BIOS as instructed, the Screen still does not auto-rotate as it used to prior to upgrading to Windows 8.1

let me know what else you would like me to do,

13 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 02:00

I updated all of the drivers and the BIOS and still get the same issue. I have the latest XPS12 with the Haswell, it might be confined to this laptop.  I appreciate it might be a Microsoft issue but Microsoft/Dell need to get their act together because if not Apple & Chrome are going to wipe the floor with them. Releasing a new OS riddled with bugs that requires you to update virtually every driver on your PC is a nightmare. Not all PC users are technicians and you shouldn't expect them to know or care what a BIOS or driver is. The OS & expensive laptop should work - period.

October 23rd, 2013 03:00

Sandeep, I have also tried to update the HD driver following the BIOS upgrade via the link in this thread. 

it aborts saying the driver is not certified for this computer.

1.5K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 09:00

Hi DREAMENGINEER,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that even after the BIOS update auto rotate function doesn't work on the system. We have escalated this case to our concerned department and I am sure they would update us with a possible solution for this issue.

We will update you on the same as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience and cooperation in this regards.

Meantime you can install the video driver from the link below:

Video Driver

Let us know if it works fine. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us. 

1.5K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 09:00

Hi BigJC1,

Thanks for the update. I understand after BIOS update as well we are still experiencing the same issue. As, mentioned we have escalated the case already and awaiting an update on the same.

We truly appreciate your patience and cooperation. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us. 

October 24th, 2013 05:00

Hi Sandeep
I do not have the haswell chipset so that Driver is no good for me, I shall await your updates

I have updated via windows driver update mechanism and I now run the following driver

Intel HD Graphics 4000
Driver Version 10.18.10.3316
Driver Date 01/10/2013

I notice my Monitor is set to a Generic PNP Monitor, is this correct?

October 24th, 2013 10:00

Hi Sandeep

PM Sent

I will test the driver update shortly and update you

No Events found!