Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 31st, 2012 00:00

XPS 13 L321X ultraportable Cypres touchpad driver won't download

The latest driver update won't download either by browser or by Dell download manager - both report "session data is corrupt."  This fault affects Input_Cypress_W7_A03_Setup-03PDC_ZPE.exe(66MB) (and also APP_Quickset_W78_A04-RW7HJ_ZPE.exe(7MB))  for me as I've updated a number of other drivers successfully.

This is a great laptop I've been enjoying for 4 months but it's always been spoilt by the poor trackpad software - unreliable multi-finger gestures that I've had to disable, unreliable tap to click ... well documented problems on the net.

So when I saw an update was available I was hoping it would fix these weaknesses.

Is there anything I can do at my end or is there a problem with this file?

5 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 18:00

Okay, after a mix of dogged persistence, patience, and a helpful Dell chat rep's hour-long efforts, the newest Dell Quickset and Cypress TouchPad updates (posted 8/30/2012) have been downloaded and installed on my xps 13.  

It's not a perfect fix, but the pad and buttons are working *much* better than before.  I should note that even the Dell rep had trouble getting these updates to download.  He managed to get them in a very roundabout way that I wasn't able to follow. He suggested that, within a week, the updates should be readily available for download. In sum, the newest updates seem to solve the Cypress TouchPad problem but they aren't immediately accessible.

One caveat: I have had the problems reemerge, after time, before; so we'll see if this most recent solution sticks.

DS

62 Posts

August 31st, 2012 06:00

Hi John,

You can perform these steps that can fix the touchpad issue:-

1. Open Control Panel - Mouse - Cypress Track pad - Click to Change Cypress track pad Settings - Select the option Enable/Disable - Apply – OK.

2. Please check if the system has Dell Quick Set application installed. That will have an option to enable/disable touch pad. You can refer to the following link and select the Operating System to install the latest version of Touchpad and Quick Set drivers:-

www.dell.com/.../xps-13-l321x

3. If the issue persists please reinstall the Cypress Touch pad using this link:-

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Awaiting your response.

10 Posts

August 31st, 2012 11:00

Deepa

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately none of these help: taking each in turn -

1     I am entirely familiar with the options available and have been trying a variety of combinations o minimise the problems.  There's a lot out there on the net about these deficiencies, including people returning their laptop because they cannot get multi finger gestures to work as Dell promised when they bought the laptop.  I'm not at that point - yet!

2     Quick Set is installed.  I followed your link and tried to download the two driver files I referred to above - got the same problem as noted in my first post.

3     This link points to an older driver - A04 2.3.6.12 dated 9/7/2011 - whereas the one I'm after is A03 2.5.0.52 dated 8/30/2012.   Currently I have 2.3.6.34 installed.

So back to my question: why can't I download 2.5.0.52?  Is there a problem with the file or is there something I can change at my end?  Can you send me the file using one of the file transfer sites?

Thanks

Kind regards

John

36 Posts

August 31st, 2012 14:00

I cannot download A03 2.5.0.52  or quickset A04 11.1.29 either.

News Article from SFGate.com - Dell Inc. stock declined the most in three months after the company cut this year's profit forecast as revenue from corporate customers failed to counter shrinking personal computer sales.

Dell, make a great product and please the customer, this should be priority #1... money will then follow

5 Posts

August 31st, 2012 14:00

I came to ask the exact questions(s) posed by John; so consider this a repetition of his request to remedy the ongoing problems associated with the Cypress TouchPad.  I, too, thought that perhaps the update posted yesterday (8/30) for the TouchPad might improve the TouchPad's performance.  Why can't it be downloaded?

It's a shame that the value of what's an otherwise good piece of technology (XPS 13 Ultrabook) is significantly diminished by the dys/functionality of its mouse pad and buttons.  Using my XPS 13 has become an increasingly frustrating experience.  Equally frustrating is Dell's apparent inability (or unwillingness??) to solve the problem and, instead, offer "solutions" that don't work. 

Come on, Dell, you're better than this.

DS

10 Posts

September 1st, 2012 00:00

Deepa

So I'm not alone in not being able to download this driver!  Can you help us please?

Thanks

Kind regards

John

61 Posts

September 1st, 2012 09:00

its always this way.... takes them months to put out a new driver and then weeks ti figure out how to make it downloadable.  Keep in mind we're talking about Dell here, not people of at least minimum intelligence...

2 Posts

September 2nd, 2012 07:00

I am unable to download the latest drivers also - seems to be a server issue that has gone on for a few days now...

36 Posts

September 2nd, 2012 08:00

other older drivers download fine.  so unless they keep the older drivers on a different server array, then it is not a server issue.  it is an incompetence issue.

1 Message

September 2nd, 2012 22:00

I checked Dell's ft site too, and found there is no such folder for two new drivers. I think Dell support team made a mistake and posted wrong folder address. :emotion-12:

1 Message

September 3rd, 2012 00:00

I'm experiencing the same issue - not anything more to add I'm afiriad, other that clearly it's an issue at Dell's end. I tried on both US and UK site and had same failure :-(

61 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 08:00

Nothing shocking, they never get it right on their first try,,,,.

5 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 16:00

Dell's effort to provide a solution to the Cypress TouchPad problem -- assuming that's the "it" you're referring to -- has been ongoing. They've offered "solutions" for over a year, none of which have worked. Indeed, as evidenced above, Dell reps will recommend old solutions that time has proved ineffective and, then, tend not to follow-up when they're informed of that fact.

A quick search on the web demonstrates that the problem is not anomalous and, further, just how many people are frustrated by Dell's *apparent* inability or unwillingness to address it.

No one from Dell has answered the question posed more than once: Why is it that an update recommended for the Cypress TouchPad, which was posted *by Dell* on 8/30/2012, can't be downloaded?

61 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 16:00

Each time they put up a driver it is at least 24 hours before that link actually works. That is referred to as incompetence. Because this "new" cypress driver is and has been un-downloadable since being posted, Im not even sure that it is in fact a NEW driver.

I have downloaded at least 7 "new drivers" that once downloaded and compared to the "previous" driver, turned out to be a carbon copy of they previous driver but with a new current release date. This is a sneaky trick that can result in the placebo effect. Perhaps 1/4 of the people will "see a difference" (wishful thinking + positive reinforcement) and that gets 1/4 of the complainers off Dell's back.

When they obtain the intelligence to link the "new" driver, you can be sure that I will compare it to the last driver.

IMO, the trackpad's electrical touch monitor mechanism goes haywire when another part of your hand/arm touches the silver band that runs around the entire keyboard. When I can't get my trackpad pointer to go to where I want it, I remove any part of my hand touching the silver band and Voila......

The trackpad is nice to look at and feels great... too bad it doesn't work. WAKE UP DELL... this is an ULTRAbook not a WELFAREbook.

3 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 17:00

HarmoicLizard's fix is working for the functions I need (scrolling).     Sure hope that Dell can finally deliver the functionality that we all paid for!

No Events found!