Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2012 09:00

XPS 13 and intell Rapid Start Technology

We've received in some XPS 13 laptops, that we are putting our corporate Win7 Enterprise image on.  I'm trying to get the intel Rapid Start Technology feature working on these machines but I am running into a problems when trying to install the iRST driver/service.  I get a message "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software"

I was able to get the service to install by running the irstsvc application from a elevated command prompt, and the service does run at startup, but the machine never goes into S3 mode.  I have iRST enabled in the BIOS and the time set to time to 5 min.  I created a hibernate partition of 8192MB and set the partition ID to 84.

I tested a machine with the factory image right out of box with the same settings and it works, going into S3 mode after 5min.  There does not seem to be any kind of documentation from Dell or Intel even on how this feature needs to be configured, how exactly it works etc...

14 Posts

June 6th, 2012 08:00

thanks for the update, it's good to confirm that the problem could be duplicated

1 Message

June 22nd, 2012 14:00

I have this exact issue and cannot purchase more XPS units until this is fixed.  Do you have an ETA on this yet Terry?  Thanks!

4 Posts

July 18th, 2012 21:00

I am also having the same issue. I have the newest BIOS installed on my computer.

Why can't I install the iRST drivers!? Dell, come on, please provide us with some answers!

14 Posts

July 24th, 2012 07:00

I've tested with the latest BIOS version and iRST appears to be working correctly now.  The machine resumes from the extended hibernate without locking up now.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

July 24th, 2012 08:00

Thanks for the update jkrueger.

For the rest of you that are still having problems with iRST with TPM enabled download the following BIOS rev should correct the issue.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

TB

7 Posts

November 30th, 2012 12:00

This still appears to be an issue for me. I'm using the very latest bios (A07). When it goes into sleep, tapping the power key seemingly does nothing. The keyboard backlight stays illuminated, even if you close the lid, further indicating it's completely hung.

Was this fixed in the previously referred to BIOS then reintroduced, or is it another issue?

I'm reluctant to try flashing to a lower bios revision without a confirmed reason.

14 Posts

November 30th, 2012 12:00

It's been working fine for me, you have all the right drivers loading?  There is one that relates to the Rapid Start funtionality, don't remember what one it is off hand,

7 Posts

December 3rd, 2012 15:00

Thanks for the reply jkrueger, sorry for the late response; I wanted to verify my findings before replying.

Your comment prompted me to double check I had installed the rapid start driver you were alluding to.

I had. Twice.

So I installed it again, expecting very little change and to my surprise, everything now works fine. Quite odd.

The only thing I can think of is maybe it needed reinstalling after enabling tpm/bitlocker, or maybe I toggled something in BIOS that it got confused about.

3 Posts

February 14th, 2013 14:00

Terry,

I followed the Dell guide for Intel Responsiveness Technologies, v.0.91, 4/30/2012.  I did it twice. Once when the 13 is fresh from Dell, when the recovery partition, rather than the system partition,  was at the end of the disk. Once after the wipe all partitions on the SSD and clean install Win & Ultimate. The second time the system partition was exactly as describe in the Dell guide.

The BIOS still shows Rapid Start greyed out after both attempts. Attempts to install the Intel Rapid start drivers and manager gave "your hardware is not qualified.." and it quit.

My XPS 13 isa  Dell refurbished L321X, BIOS=A08, all other drivers and Windows updates are current as of yesterday.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No Events found!