Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2017 05:00

XPS 13, dropped, audio issues

Hi, 

I was on bed with my Dell xps 13 laptop and I accidentally dropped it on the side and it hit a solid surface. Afterwards, sound was unable to come out of the laptop. Despite this, when I plugged in my earphones, I can hear sounds from it perfectly. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the sound driver but the problem wasn't fixed. 

The weird thing is, after leaving the laptop idle for a few hours, after I came back, the laptop sounds worked perfectly. I restarted the laptop to make sure it will work again, however, sound stopped coming out again. Does anyone know why? This is really strange and I want a method to troubleshoot this.

Thanks.

• 

17K Posts

July 7th, 2017 08:00

JokezOnYou3

The speaker cable may have come loose and is not securely inserted into the motherboard. You can click the link below to download the service manual for your computer. The manual provides steps to remove/replace parts in your computer.

Dell Drivers, Downloads and Manuals 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 7th, 2017 08:00

a method to troubleshoot this

Hello. During a period when the speakers are not working as they should, run the ePSA audio quick check test. If you don't head the test sounds that means there is hardware failure, either the speakers have failed or the connection is loose. If that is the case, then the reason the speakers sometimes work is because the failure is intermittent. You could open the laptop and reseat the speaker cable connection.

If you do hear the test tones even though the speakers will not function correctly when in Windows, then most likely the frop caused a failure of the impedance sensing in the headphone jack, causing Windows to think there is a plug in the jack socket even after it has been removed. This type of failure can also sometimes be intermittent.

July 7th, 2017 15:00

Hello, I tried the ePSA test and I have heard one beep and 2 ticks. One thing I forgot to mention is when I play audio on my laptop, instead of sounds, very faint ticks come out instead. While doing the audio check test, I onpy heard 1 low tone beep and 2 ticks (The ticks are the same as when I play audio in this broken state), however there was a caption that came up saying "8 tones are being played through audio subsytems". Are there supposed to be 8 beeps? I am confused as I heard the sounds but I don't know if it was the sound I was supposed to hear.

July 7th, 2017 15:00

A

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 8th, 2017 05:00

Thinking about it some more, I wonder if that low tone is the 1st note of the do-re-mi scale. The scale is played in ascending order, starting with the lowest note.

What I'm thinking is that if the test is successfully playing the 1st note of the test, but then the speakers immediately fail and only produce the 2 ticks, then there is something wrong other than a loose connection.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 8th, 2017 05:00

Are there supposed to be 8 beeps?

Yes. It sounds like the do-re-mi scale being played by a toy synthesizer.

1 low tone beep and 2 ticks

The laptop failed the test, but I don't know what those sounds indicate. Run the test again with the headphones plugged in, and see if you hear the 8 tones, the low tone & ticks, or nothing at all.

The laptop could be repaired by Dell if it is still under warranty, but be advised that accidental damage is not covered under the standard warranty. If you recently bought the laptop with a credit card, many cards offer accident protection for a set number of days or months after the purchase.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 8th, 2017 06:00

I made a recording of the ePSA audio test tones. I can't figure how to embed it in this post, so here is a link to it on Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwiuxhqkntl7lie/ePSA%20test%20tones.wav?dl=0

I was wrong about it being a do-re-mi scale. I think it is a C note being played in 8 different octaves.

Does the lowest note sound like what you hear?

No Events found!