Highlighted
xpshome
1 Copper

RE: XPS 13 screen flickers when waking up after Windows 10 upgrade

Jump to solution

Dell doesn't supply Windows 10 drivers for the Intel HD Graphics 5500 in the XPS13, only for Windows 8.1. 

bwbatchler
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm seeing a similar issue with an Inspiron 14R after a Windows 10 upgrade.  Trying to determine if it's the same issue being chased here.  I see flickering and I also have gotten vertical lines on the screen. I have the latest video drivers also.  One thing I've noticed that isn't mentioned is that I only see this when running on battery power.  If the AC is connected, video is rock solid.   Is this symptom consistent with the issue being discussed here?  I beginning to suspect that my issue may be power management related.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Sosinondodrore,

Please try steps suggested to PcofInterest of uninstalling and reinstalling the video card driver for issue resolution.

0 Kudos
Boyderama
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi Ravi,

I think you can assume we have all tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

This does not help.

Please, forget 1st line support questions and elevate this issue to 3rd line support.

Regards,

Boyd

0 Kudos
Boyderama
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi bwbatchler,

For me, the issue is present regardless of being on mains or battery.

It may, however, be related to power and therefore affects your model differently to ours.

Boyd

0 Kudos
p13rr0t
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Same here,

tried both upgrading/uninstalling video drivers, running DELL driver update tool, which updated BIOS and chipset drivers.

Results are all the same: screen keeps flickering.

Hope it is not hardware issue and it won't be necessary to replace my laptop =(

0 Kudos
yydoo
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Mine also have the same issue. BTW my is new laptop only few days.

0 Kudos
part 234089
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I've noticed the same thing.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Xpshome,

Please use the link below to download and install the Video card driver from Intel website.

http://intel.ly/1DeQbVL

Please let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
PCofInterest
1 Copper

Jump to solution

For all those suffering with this flickering problem on the XPS 13 after upgrading to Windows 10:

With the help of Dell technical support, I have found a work-around that has, thus far, completely eliminated the flickering problem.  You need to change a BIOS setting:

1. Reboot your laptop
  2. Repeatedly press F2 as soon as the Dell logo appears on screen to enter BIOS
  3. Navigate to the Performance section
  4. Select C-State Control, and disable (uncheck) it, exit and reboot

This has completely stopped the flickering problem for me.  However, I consider this a work-around only (not a fix), as C-States are used by Windows to better manage power and I suspect there will be side-effects of turning this off (such as reduced battery efficiency).  But, it's a big improvement until there's a fix.

For the record, I am still using the graphics driver that was installed with Windows 10 (version 10.18.15.4256).

If you try this change, please post back to let the rest of the community know if it works.

DELL-RAVI BC: Please do your homework.  The Intel link that you posted installs the same version of the display driver that we all already got when we upgraded to Windows 10 (10.18.15.4256).  I know the entire package has a different version number from Intel (15.40.4.64.4256), but if you look at the package contents you'll see that it includes the same version of the driver we already have.