Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2015 10:00

XPS 13 screen flickers when waking up after Windows 10 upgrade

Whenever i turn on the laptop, or wake the screen up when it goes dark, the screen starts to flicker. It's like it's glitching a couple of seconds before it stops.. It goes on for about 5-10 seconds. It started to happen after i upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday (i got my XPS 13 yesterday). It's the i7 model with the infinity touch display. 

I have checked that i have all the latest drivers. So is this software, or hardware? And what can i do to fix this?

67 Posts

October 5th, 2015 16:00

Wow what a long thread:-( shame on Dell. 

I have a Dec-13 XPS 13 L321X and since upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 had the same problems as many people here.  I have A08 BIOS but can't see the C-State option, is this just on the later XPS 13?  Thanks and still watching this thread!  Peter

14 Posts

October 6th, 2015 09:00

After several weeks of testing, I am 100% sure that, in the case of my L321x, the flickering only happens when not plugged. When plugged at an outlet, no flicker whatsoever.

Has this issue been officially confirmed and addressed by Dell yet?

19 Posts

October 6th, 2015 09:00

If you are still flickering read the messages regarding the Chipset installation starting with MarkMessenger's on August 26th on page 3 of this thread.  Subsequent Chipset messages by others will tell you what others did with this driver and their journey to a flickerless experience.

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

October 7th, 2015 02:00

Hi

what I have noted in connection with the flickering is that my monitor gets disabled quite often. Is it something you also experience?

3 Posts

October 7th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

I just got my new XPS 13 few days ago.

It came preinstalled with Win10.

The first thing i sow is that flickering. Mostly in the login page for the first 10-15 sec.

I was an inch close to return it to amazon until i found this discussion which made me understand thats a bug and not something wrong with my device.

WHEN THE *** THIS WILL BE FIXED????

3 Posts

October 7th, 2015 12:00

I've been having this issue for two months now.

On its website, Dell advertises this laptop as being compatible with the Windows 10 upgrade.  This is clearly a lie until this problem is fixed.

The truth is, Dell does not care about its customers because an issue as simple as this could have been fixed on Day 1.

Once I report this to my local news station and have all my friends post it to Facebook and Twitter, maybe we'll get their attention.

SHAME ON YOU DELL.

20 Posts

October 8th, 2015 09:00

PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM NOW!!!

1 Message

October 9th, 2015 02:00

Hey everyone, 

I have the exact same issue on my dell xps 13 and win 10 (upgrade). After reading this thread I see there is no solution yet?

The flashing problem is a real show-stopper..

10 Posts

October 9th, 2015 04:00

I have notified DELL that I'm going to proceed with the money refund for my XPS13 and after that I've got one more suggestion from DELL before we proceed.

I copy it here for all suffering this flickering issue.

======== quote ==========

There is actually 1 last solution here for you to try and appreciate if you could revert back the result.

Thanks J

This issue is the result of Windows 10 automatically updating the Intel graphics driver and the updated driver does not correctly match the hardware causing the video to flicker. To eliminate this issue, download the Intel graphics driver version 10.18.15.4240 for Microsoft Windows 10 currently available from the Dell Support site which I believe you already update this.

Next, you need to manually disable automatic updates for Microsoft Windows 10, to prevent Windows 10 from reloading the problematic graphics driver.

=========end quote=======  

I've tried this steps as the last option. The flickering is still here but it becomes really insignificant, it lasts for a couple of seconds (correction - 10-15 sec) and only after my screen waking up from the power saving mode. I would say it much more useful than C-States disable.

If you'd like to try this option please kindly note the driver link below.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=TJN9R&fileId=3483604580&osCode=WT64A&productCode=xps-13-9343-laptop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=VI

All the best and DELL, PLEASE FINALLY SOLVE THIS PROBLEM WITH THE LATEST DRIVER

7 Posts

October 9th, 2015 08:00

I have removed and deleted the 4256 driver several times. Have the automatic Windows update off and automatic device app by manufacturer disabled. Installed 4240 and guess what....in a couple of hours this dang 4256 is back.....what else can one do to keep this from happening?

11 Posts

October 9th, 2015 12:00

hello , i v tries on another xps 9343 and my procedure work

first of all download xwindows.microsoft.com/.../open-the-windows-update-troubleshooter

and disable all intel drivers autoupdate

later unistall intel video driver and intel chipset driver

download last intel video driver from intel site,install and restart

install dell xps 9343 chipset last driver from dell site

IMPORTANT:when the installer ask for overwrite newer inf files SAY YES

restart and the flicker issue disappear

TENKAVIDEO - could you possibly list the link again - many thanks.

I'm getting a generic WIN7 TROUBLESHHOTER page from that link.

OMG!!!

6 weeks waiting on a firmware update to get 512 SSD to actually install Windows 10. Did this today on two XPS13 (brand new!) laptops and then get this FLICKERING SCREEN problem on both. http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/p/19645539/20832185#20832185

Really???, Dell...this is supposed to be a quality laptop.

Hope there's a solution soon.

11 Posts

October 9th, 2015 13:00

try my solution

October 9th, 2015 13:00

My experience is different. When I connect my laptop to an external display, there is *no flickering* neither on the external nor internal display. Unplug the external display, and flickering starts. Plug the external display back in and flickering stops.

Another note, when the screen flickers, the mouse pointer centers on the screen. I'm interpreting that to meet that the flicker is the software adjusting for a display hardware change when there really wasn't any change.

No Events found!