Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

January 17th, 2008 17:00

XPS 1330 - HDMI problem

2 weeks ago I bought a Dell XPS m1330.
Since I don't like Vista I installed Windows XP. Everything works except the audio on HDMI.

When I connect my laptop to my Philips TV with hdmi, I do get video, but the sound comes out of my laptop instead of my TV. I tried looking in the audio-settings. I've looked on the internet but I can't really find a proper answer.

I have installed:
STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio
Chipset Drivers
GeForce 8400M GS ...

Do I need any additional drivers or programs for audio in HDMI? (for win xp)

Sorry for this rather silly question :D

Many thanks in advance.

Message Edited by blehh on 01-17-2008 08:11 PM

10 Posts

January 17th, 2008 20:00

See if this relates: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=59499 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notebook System - XPS M1530,
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800MhzFSB, 4M L2 Cache),
15.4 inch Wide Screen WSXGA+ TrueLife for XPS M1530, 200G ,
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
3GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm,
7200RPM SATA Hard Drive Free Fall Sensor
Vista Home Premium

4 Posts

January 18th, 2008 07:00

I've checked all the tabs on my "Sigmatel audio configuration" and I don't have the option to set the audio to HDMI. I don't have any HDMI setup for audio... or I just can't find it? I also can't set my audio to digital.

10 Posts

January 18th, 2008 12:00

@blehh wrote:
I've checked all the tabs on my "Sigmatel audio configuration" and I don't have the option to set the audio to HDMI. I don't have any HDMI setup for audio... or I just can't find it? I also can't set my audio to digital.

Hmmmm? haven't received my notebook yet and of course I hope I don't have that problem but if I do and I figure it out I'll post.
Cheers!
C
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notebook System - XPS M1530,
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800MhzFSB, 4M L2 Cache),
15.4 inch Wide Screen WSXGA+ TrueLife for XPS M1530, 200G ,
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
3GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm,
7200RPM SATA Hard Drive Free Fall Sensor
Vista Home Premium

4 Posts

January 18th, 2008 15:00

I've read in some reviews now that the HDMI on the 1330 doesn't support audio output through HDMI.

I must admit I haven't tested it with the standard Vista installation, so I'm not sure if the problem is with windows xp or the hardware.

Though, if you have output through your HDMI please let me know.

Thanks

137 Posts

January 20th, 2008 18:00

Errr thats not true. The XPS M1330 does support audio via the HDMI.....I know cos I use it all the time. Mine is running Vista Home Premium. If you go to control panel and select Sound, what does it say in the playback tab? Mine has two output settings speakers / headphones as one and HDMI as the other. I don't have to do anything as soon as I plug in a HDMI cable to my tv the sound switches to the TV automatically.

Check your drivers and reinstall as necessary.

34 Posts

March 13th, 2008 11:00

I have the same system ,minus the SP1 update (how is it working for you. Is it worth it?) Now I had to go to the control panel and set my HDMI output as default the had to swicht it back so my Sony TV could get sound. U say u just plug and play without setting default settings? Nice how did u actualy do that.

Thanks Ernie

ernie49@gmail.com 

108 Posts

March 24th, 2008 23:00

hey there - i too couldn't get sound and video at the same time.  did you get this solved, and if so, using what software as playback device, and by manipulating what menu's?

thanks

34 Posts

March 25th, 2008 08:00

You start of by connecting you laptop(m1330) to the LCD by way of the HDMI cable. If you do nothing else the sound will come out of your laptop and the video will show on your LCD in 720p that's what I get not 1080i what I was expecting. However now for the sound, you go to the control panel and set the HDMI as your default audio device. aAt this point your sound should come out of your LCD or 5.1 or 7.1 sound system. It would have been nice to have this a bit more automateded but I guess Dell's Eng. thought your default out put would have been the laptop.

ernie49@gmail.com

108 Posts

March 25th, 2008 15:00

when you say "out your lcd" you mean that audio from the laptop is being output over the HDMI cable, not the mic/line outputs?

also, do you get any AC adapter whine when the laptop is powered by AC?  if so, is it over the HDMI or just the mic/line outputs?

thanks

108 Posts

March 25th, 2008 22:00

thanks, that's all good to know

34 Posts

March 25th, 2008 22:00

That's right sound is ported thru the HDMI cable to the LCD. If you have it connected to a 5.1 SS Unit it plays thru that as well. As for the whine, I glad to say I don't have that problem. It is clean audio I get with my unit. Look into were you have your unit plugged into. Sounds to me it may be interference either from your power strip or maybe another peace of equipment pug into the lot that might be causing that.

ernie49@gmail.com

1 Message

November 12th, 2008 05:00

I have Vista Ultimate and had the same problem but now have it fixed. Go to Control Panel/Sound/HDMI/ select Advanced Tab / and make sure that both Exclusive Mode boxes are unchecked. With your HDMI cable hooked up, restart your video/audio application.

No Events found!