Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2017 16:00

XPS 15 9550 Battery Swollen and Trackpad lifted!!! Just when I need to rush my thesis! Dell pls help!

After noticing the trackpad being very lifted (>2mm), I began to search online for possible reasons and found out that many other people have complained about the swelling battery. I opened up the laptop and indeed the battery is bulging like a balloon. All these happening to me right when I am rushing to complete my thesis.

Spoke to Dell online chat service officer and was simply told to contact technical support in UK (I am studying in UK). I am having my fingers crossed after reading many other users' experiences about poor or non-existent help from Dell. Worse still, I am looking for sources to purchase a replacement battery as a last resort in case my call with Dell ends up in despair, and there is none that seem to be reputable or reliable.

Sharing my problem here for the benefit of those yet that come across the same problem, and if I'm lucky, get some help from Dell or fellow users as well. Seems that Dell has not been acknowledging the problem or helping users in this matter which is pretty apparent a battery defect issue. Dell should get its battery supplier to rectify or replace all these problematic parts. It is not just a reputation issue, it is a big safety risk! (I have kids)

1 Message

July 20th, 2017 21:00

I just want to add my name to the list as well. I also have this problem right after 1 year of use of the laptop and my warranty ended. :( My track pad is severely lifted for half a year now and I also fear the battery can explode. I saw online that people have bought the battery model 6GTPY which is 97wh from the 9560 model and said it worked. Unfortunately I chatted with a dell rep and they said it is out of stock. My last resort is buy from 3rd party or ebay.  

4 Posts

July 21st, 2017 08:00

There is another thread somewhere on Dell Community Forums that I saw that a Dell rep recommended to remove the battery and use the laptop without it to be safe.

So I spoke to the UK technical support just a couple of hours ago. They mentioned that the battery replacement is out of stock and there are already 30 or so affected users who have placed order for the new part which is expected to take about 2 months to be available. That is too long for me and I ended up using the laptop battery-less for the time being while I do my work.

Interestingly, I also specifically mentioned that the current problem seems widespread and asked if the manufacturer (Simplo) has got anything to do with this problem.Apparently, Simplo batteries swelling has been reported in many different laptop makes and models (just search "simplo battery swelling"). The tech support rep said he wasn't aware but when asked, affirmed that the new replacement battery coming soon will not be from the same manufacturer and that this manufacturer had stopped supplying batteries (for this laptop or Dell). I have no way to verify this fact but to take it at face value since it's from Dell's own tech support.

Hopefully that is the case, and there is an improved part coming soon. Else this laptop of mine is going to be severely handicapped for its use, which would be utterly disappointing considering that I had spent good money on it and only had it for a year. This is my first Dell laptop, I hope it won't end up being my last.

380 Posts

July 22nd, 2017 03:00

They replaced mine with a LGC-LGC3.67 (DELL T453X74). This is a LION instead of a LIPO battery. Hopefully it will not have the same issue that the SIMPLO battery had.

JohnD

1 Message

July 22nd, 2017 11:00

I just discovered the same issue this morning.  Unfortunately my Dell warranty expired 3 months ago so I had to submit it through my Squaretrade warranty.  My wife has the same laptop, I hope I dont have a problem with hers as well.  Dell really needs to deal with this and issue a recall.

4 Posts

July 22nd, 2017 19:00

RoadRashTex, you can check to see if your wife's laptop is using the Simplo battery. If it is, I would think the same problem occurring in due time is a given. Sorry to say that.

380 Posts

July 23rd, 2017 04:00

RoadRashTex,

You can run this command in a Command Prompt window using "Run as admin" to determine what battery you have.

powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Downloads\BatteryRpt.html

This will create an .HTML file in your downloads folder which you can open with a browser.

JohnD

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

July 24th, 2017 04:00

Hi tong82,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies for your computer not working as expected.  As was explained before, please contact Dell Tech Support for further troubleshooting and assistance.  If the part is out of stock, at this time, then it should be available soon. The computer can still be used without the battery and plugged into the AC power supply.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

July 24th, 2017 10:00

Please contact Tech Support in your country for troubleshooting and assistance regarding a bulging battery. Thank You.

4 Posts

July 24th, 2017 10:00

Hi Robert P,

Thank you for your reply. However, judging from the growing number of cases reported in Dell Community Forums, reddit etc, and looking at past cases happening with the same battery manufacturer for other devices from Microsoft etc, I think for Dell customers to have to replace the battery out of their own pocket 1 year after owning the laptop when there were clearly indications of defective manufacturing already exposed previously is very disappointing. The coincidence of the battery failing right at the same time the warranty expires leaves me with pondering thoughts of whether it is simply poor engineering, or intentionally designed as such to more out of customers who are already committed to the laptop model. Furthermore, the significant number of reports popping up across the internet in recent months does not reflect typical failure rates in electronics. While customers have accepted the short 1-year battery warranty offered by Dell when they purchase the laptops, to stick strictly to the warranty terms when the failure of the part is unusually widespread does not reflect well on 1) Dell's QA on its products, 2) Dell's goodwill when a product failure is questionably a responsibility of Dell and it's suppliers. I certainly would have expected that Dell would offer a 1-1 replacement for parts identified to have been part of defective manufacturing.

August 22nd, 2017 16:00

On en.community.dell.com/.../20019110 they are replacing the battery even when out of warranty, apparently. Seems inconsistent at best.

August 22nd, 2017 16:00

My battery has also started pushing up the touchpad too. Seems widespread manufacturing fault, which means not of merchantable quality, so actionable under the Sale of Goods Act, if anyone would be so bold as to take this to court. I am 2 months out of warranty and last week it lifted 2-3mm on the front edge of the touchpad. Someone is going to get some serious earache and legalese.

1 Message

November 17th, 2017 13:00

Bump! Me too.

November 17th, 2017 15:00

*callout charge

November 17th, 2017 15:00

I called Dell UK. They looked up the parts in my service tag and found this was a defective battery. They offered me free parts and labour replacement at either £94 for next working day or a 15 working day return-to-base service. I opted for the fallout charge as timing was important. Replacement by the engineer took 10 minutes.

Okay so £94 sounds like a lot for a Dell parts fault but it was a small price to pay for the alternive which was 3-4 weeks without my work PC.

Note that I was outside of my 1y warranty.

2 Posts

January 4th, 2018 01:00

Same issue here. Can you give contact details for UK and/or Lithuania?

No Events found!