Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 5th, 2015 16:00

XPS 15 9550 Coil Whine

I was hoping this wouldn't be an issue with the newer generation models, as it was my understanding this was fixed towards the end of the previous generation. Unfortunately, I have audible coil whine on my new XPS 15 9550 when plugged in to the power adapter. When disconnected from the adapter, the whine is much less noticeable. It is most noticeable for me when scrolling in Chrome, as an example. KB backlight makes no difference. It does get slightly better when the battery is fully charged, but is still quite audible to me.

Is anybody else experiencing this with the Skylake models? I am extremely disappointed at this point, I like everything else about this laptop other than the coil whine and the webcam being at the bottom of the display (which I can live with, unlike the coil whine).

5 Posts

November 28th, 2015 23:00

I have the same coil whine issue on my i7-6700k 512 GB with 4K display. The whine is super high-pitched and can be heard from the other room. It mainly happens when the computer is plugged in and charging, but it does happen while unplugged, although not as frequently. I have received another AC adapter, for the first one was faulty, and I have seen no difference. 

I would really like to see this issue fixed for I cannot charge my laptop while I am using it or when no other loud noises are present because the sound hurts my ears. I really love this laptop and don't want to see this problem come between us.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2015 06:00

i opted for a replacement,

there is no chance i'll accept a £1600 machine with such issues.

Have in mind though that  it will take some time (bout a month) to get replacement.

In case the replacement is faulty as well, i'll be going straight for a refund.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2015 11:00

I have the coil whine noise as well.

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 18:00

I am also having this issue. For more information, this is my 3rd Dell XPS 15 (others were exchanged due to other issues) and they did not have this coil whine noise. For me, it is also much louder on AC power but still occurs on battery power at a barely discernable level. It is intermittent, and sounds like a Hard-drive noise (but I only have 512GB SSD, no HD). I am not positive, but it appears this noise was not present when I first received the laptop, as I am just noticing it in the last week. FYI I began noticing it after installing the Dell Thunderbolt 3 firmware update, but I assume this is a coincidence. I have the latest BIOS installed. Thanks

2 Posts

December 11th, 2015 08:00

I have the same problem, is there a solution?

December 14th, 2015 06:00

I had the same issue. Dell technical support sent me a new AC adapter and it solved the issue.

December 15th, 2015 07:00

The whine noise is from the cpu area, the reason is the BIOS or the intel cpu itself.

If you go to BIOS set up , disable cpu “C-states” , the high frequency whine will be gone.

I bought 3 of them new XPS 13 , both skylake i7 & i5 model have the coil whine problem.

I don't know if DELL will solve the problem by BIOS update, so I made a refund = =

XPS 13 has Quite good design, but poor quality control ruins everything.

5 Posts

December 19th, 2015 12:00

Thankfully the coil whine issue has gone away on its own. Initially it was whining during use while unplugged and while plugged in it was screeching. It then changed to only screeching on being plugged in (while using and not using). Next, it only screeched for about three seconds when it was initially plugged in. Now, it no longer screeches or whines at all. I do not know why it just suddenly stopped, but maybe, with use, other people's coil whine will also disappear.

1 Message

December 21st, 2015 12:00

+1 for new AC adapter. Updating the BIOS  to 1.0.7 didn't help much, but I just received a replacement AC adapter from Tech Support, and the whining is gone.

Old adapter model no.: blahblah-5A7-1V9N-A01

New one: blahblah-58I-1G5S-A01

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 8th, 2016 04:00

Right!, so..

after another month and a few days of waiting , i received my replacement xps 15 9550.

Unfortunately after using it for a bit i can confirm that i still had the coil whine issue. Tried swapping my new and old charged with no effect.

i noticed whiny sound coming from both the adapter and the machine.

The only difference i noticed on the new machine is that the whiny sound becomes louder when scrolling.

A few other things i've noticed :

- neither of the machines had any display driver issues

- my old machine did not have the carbon fiber and aluminium bottom fitted properly so the aluminium bottom was slightly sticking out. The new machine did not have this issue.

- the charging light on my old laptop had a slight light bleed on its left and right, my new one did not

- the back lighting on the keyboard of my new machine was WORSE than my old machine. Backspace did not illuminate at all and enter key was not properly sat on the keyboard so you could see the underlying led

- Red screen when viewing screen from extreme angles with 100% brightness and a black background on both machines

I'm returning both machines for a refund, wasted too much time and money on something not worth it.

Extremely disappointed.

1 Message

January 18th, 2016 00:00

Interessanter Artikel:

xps-15.wikia.com/.../Coil_Whine

2 Posts

January 18th, 2016 01:00

Help! I am new here and completely lost. I need help with memory storage issues.

A couple of weeks ago my laptop died and I had to replace it on a very limited budget. I bought the cheapest laptop Dell makes ($179 at Best Buy)

I brought over about 1.5 gigs of files from my old computer. The Dell has 27 gigs, but it is telling me it only has 1.36 gig of free disk. I went thru and found everything I could throw way last week because it was showing 2.5 gigs available. I cleared out about 2 more gigs. But now I cant find where all this new data is, so I can delete it. Any suggestions. I don’t want to crash my new computer!

Any help would be appreciated.

2 Posts

January 18th, 2016 01:00

Help! pretty sure i am in the wrong forum. i have memory/storage issues on a brand new dell. it is the least expensive laptop they make, i think. ($179 at best buy), it is 27 gig hard drive and i have added about 2 gigs in software, documents and images, yet it says i have 1.36 gig left out of the 27. any ideas what might  be hogging the  other 25 gigs?

3 Posts

January 19th, 2016 16:00

I have this issue as well. The laptop is completely silent on battery, and the AC adapter is completely silent when plugged into the wall but disconnected from the computer. However, once they are connected and the computer is turned on, they both exhibit a high pitched buzz/whine. This seems to get worse as they warm up as well. It's worth noting that if the adapter is plugged into the laptop while it's powered down or in sleep mode, there is no noise either. So it seems to be a function of the laptop drawing power during use.

It sounds like a replacement adapter at least somewhat resolves the issue for a few people, but I don't know if that is the case when the laptop itself makes noise as well (which I can confirm mine does).

Has anyone found any alternative solutions? Do I need to initiate and RMA? The sound isn't particularly noticeable in loud environments, but in a typical use setting, such as at the library or when Im home studying with low volume music, the noise is quite jarring.

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2016 02:00

its very usefull for m. Thanks

No Events found!