Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2016 19:00

XPS 15 9550 External Monitor Screen Flicker Through Thunderbolt 3 Port

I recently purchased an XPS 15 9550 with i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, and GTX 960m dGPU that I have connected to a 27-inch QNIX qx2710 2560x1440p external monitor. I have this connected through a Cable Matters USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 to DVI-D adapter and cable.

The monitor and everything seem to work fine at 60hz, except for every time I unplug, turn on, or restart the monitor/computer the first five or ten minutes of use is plagued with constant screen flickering and flashing. After ~five minutes the monitor seems to stabilize and will only rarely have a single screen flicker. 

I have read other forum threads describing similar issues with different monitors/cable setups and that there is likely an issue between the wifi card and thunderbolt port. The common recommendation is to turn down the wifi output percent to 75%, however the Killer wifi card on this computer does not have an option under advanced settings to turn down the power output. Has anyone had any luck doing this on a recently purchased XPS 15 with the Killer wifi card?

The cables and adapters are new and the BIOS and all drivers are up to date. Other than the wifi issue, does anyone have suggestions or solutions to this screen flickering problem?

3 Posts

January 6th, 2017 16:00

Does anyone have any insights on this?

No Events found!