Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2016 11:00

XPS 15 9550 Freeze randomly - Black screen

My XPS 15 9550 - quad core i5 freezes randomly - the screen will turn black (or grey), but not the windows BSOD. I have to hold the power button to force shutdown and reboot the laptop when this happens.

Tried updating all drivers, not helpful, clean installed windows 10, didn't help.

This could happen anytime, even at the time I'm not touch my laptop, or running anything.

Seems to be driver related or hardware.. anyone have some issues? 

3 Posts

May 15th, 2017 06:00

Hi. I have the same issues in my XPS 15 9550 . I updated to the lateste BIOS 1.2.25. I am running on Linux Debian with 4.9.0.2 kernel. The laptop freezes randomly about 3-5 times per day. It is more frequent when I have a second monitor connected (HDMI). Neither Linux log files  show anything about the crash nor the BIOS system logs. I ran the system diagnostics test and nothing was found. I left it running all over night, it ran the long test.

FURTHERMORE, the dell support page doesn't allow me to submit a support ticket.

July 10th, 2017 15:00

I think I found a culprit ...

I tried disabling 960m n other stuff but it keep on crashing n freezing

Just today I was downloading on a faster connection 10mb download speed and computer crashed just after 15 min ... I finally checked temperature of SSD using HWMonitor and my SSD was boiling hot at 50°C and computer was not responding

I then started downloading on an external hard disk and temperature of SSD remained under 39°C n no freeze or crash

Now I'm looking to replace this SSD (Samsung PM951 256Gb) with bigger size SSD like crucial X300 or 960 Evo 500gb or cheaper Corsair 512Gb black ... As in real life performance, there is not much of a difference

So far it's running flawlessly without any freeze n I'm even playing a 4K video from my external hard disk ...

No Events found!