Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2016 04:00

XPS 15 9550 HDMI does not detect external monitor

My just arrived XPS 15 9550 which I have updated to the currently newest drivers (BIOS, Chipset, Video, Audio) does not detect any external display via HDMI. It says no external display has been detected. My previous Dell notebook had no issues at all.

Any ideas what the problem might be and how to fix it?

Many thanks in advance!

1 Message

January 8th, 2016 01:00

I have the same issue.  New Dell, applied all updates.  No luck so far.

1 Message

January 27th, 2016 00:00

Had the same problem and this was my solution. Connect to your external monitor. Right click on your desktop then select the intel graphics control panel.  While on the display tab, change the resolution of your laptop to a lower resolution. Probably the same as your external monitor. dont apply. Just wait for your external monitor to work then bring back to your normal resolution. 

Hope this works for you.

July 1st, 2016 19:00

This partially worked for me. Using this method, I can only put the external monitor as "extended" desktop. Putting it as clone or sole display doesn't work!  

79 Posts

July 3rd, 2016 20:00

you have a key on on your keyboard that should say CRT / LCD you should be able to press that with the fn key and it should ask if you want to duplicate or use just the monitor or the lcd screen and it should automatically adjust your resolution. from what in saw on this laptop it should be the FN + the F8 key to do this.

July 4th, 2016 06:00

I tried that couple of time Miie and it doesn't work. The resolution is not an issue because I can extend the desktop. And I even extend then try to clone or use my external monitor as primary display after manually setting the monitor resolution in Intel display application.

79 Posts

July 4th, 2016 07:00

then it has to be something in the drivers or the software one or the other what drivers does it use.

1 Message

July 9th, 2016 15:00

HAVE THE SAME ISSUE. the only way i have resolved it is by rolling back the HD 530 driver to the one from October 2015.  its sad but Dell has pushed an Intel HD Driver without understanding how it impacts people using any type of HDMI device.  In my opinion only, very poor integration testing.

Go to Dell's product support.  put in your service tag.  then use the "find myself" option.  go to "video".  go to the Intel HD driver section.  go to "other version" - its a small link in the bottom of this area.  you will see the one from October or November.  they do work and allow you to connect an HDMI device.  

note this issue only happens with the latest Intel HD update when an hdmi device is connected for me.

regards.

2 Posts

September 3rd, 2017 10:00

Really stupid but what I found worked was when I went I removed HDMI and then reconnected. I was also in the Intel HD graphics control panel (right click on desktop) where there was a Detect button which wasn't doing anything, but then when I re-connected HDMI everything came to life.

No Events found!