Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 16th, 2016 19:00

XPS 15 9550 - TPM has "disappeared"

After receiving my XPS 15 9550 about six weeks ago I immediately activated BitLocker w/TPM. That was working fine until about one week ago; I was suddenly prompted for the BL Recovery Key after having had the laptop shut down for about 24 hrs.   

Consecutive reboots kept asking for the recovery key. Eventually I tried suspending the BL protection. Upon trying to resume it I got the error message that "no TPM security device was found on on this computer". And sure enough: The TPM had been set as a "hidden device" under Device Manager, trying to re-enable it led to the same error message. Furthermore I was unable to find any mention of TPM in the BIOS.

No hardware changes or BIOS upgrades had been performed when this problem occurred. 

I just now tried to upgrade from BIOS version 1.2.0 to 1.2.2 (latest), but with no luck - the TPM is still missing from the BIOS. I've also tried to restore to factory settings, but with the same result.

1 Message

May 5th, 2017 00:00

Resetting BIOS with CTRL+ESC and connecting the power plug boots my laptop for about 10 seconds. Afterwards it turns off automatically. However after starting the machine, the BIOS and Windows 10 don't recognize any TPM module. The module worked for a few weeks when I bought the xps 15 9550 1,5 years ago, then it disappeared. It never worked afterwards. Tried to format the disk and installing a fresh copy of Windows 10. Nothing works.

June 1st, 2017 00:00

And what do you know, this problem is back. Happened out of the blue again, no BIOS update beforehand.  Tried the CTRL+ESC+Power Plug to reset CMOS this time, no luck. Could any Dell representative shed some light on *** is going on?

July 28th, 2017 11:00

Wow! It works!

Some extra info for dumbs like me:

1) switch the PC off

2) disconnect plug

3) keeping pressed CTRL+ESC reinsert the plug

4) a menu appears

5) select restore BIOS defaults

1 Message

September 6th, 2017 14:00

I had this problem starting about two weeks ago and it was very frustrating.  This solution worked. Thanks for posting.

No Events found!