Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 28th, 2017 01:00

XPS 15 9560 Fan Always On

Hi Guys,

I have very recently jumped on board the XPS train and purchased the latest and greatest Dell XPS 15 9560, the 2017 model. My configuration comes maxed-out with 32gb RAM and 1tb SSD drive, powered by Intel i7 Kaby Lake processor and equipped with the gorgeous 4K display.

And I wish everything was perfect, but I after only 36 hours of use one thing is abundantly clear - this machine is far from silent because the fan is ALWAYS on.

A couple of Chrome tabs and the Media Player in the background - fans are on. Watching a 720p movie - fans are on. Sometimes I close all programs and leave it running seemingly nothing - fans are still on!

I don't know if mine is a faulty model or they are all supposed to be like that? I have read other users claim their machines are "dead silent", and I felt confused and jealous.

What's funny is that my previous laptop - a 5-year old Samsung - was silent for the most part with fans kicking up only at heavy load.

I tried changing the Cooling Policy to Passive in Power Options, but that made no difference. Unfortunately, Dell doesn't even provide a Fan Tuning utility - just a small bit of software to have more control over the cooling policy.

I would encourage anyone with the same issue to come forward, and anyone with a solution to share it with the community.

Thanks

Pav

3 Posts

September 13th, 2017 02:00

Hey.

Yes, I use Windows 10 Home which came bundled with this laptop. I've reinstalled in once since, but that didn't make a difference to the fan noise.

If you install Intel Extreme Tuning, you can monitor the temperature. The fans come on when they reach around 50°C, which is fine. They cool down the machine very quickly to around 36°C - very good. The problem is they STAY ON - even though the temperature is low, there isn't a signal telling the fans "Time to Stop Now" - that is INFURIATING, because they stay on for hours, or the whole time.

The more I read about it, the more I come to a Conclusion - this is in fact by design.... Dell, in their wisdom, intended for this to occur. They did not prioritise a Quiet Machine, but rather a Cool One.

144 Posts

April 28th, 2017 15:00

Run the Dell Command Update app, see Dell Command | Update Version 2.3 User's Guide

Run the ePSA diagnostics for a complete check of your hardware, there you will find information about the fan, temperature and more.
See Dell support article SLN115162

6 Posts

June 12th, 2017 00:00

I experience the same behaviour after the Windows 10 Creator's update - same as these guys:

forum.notebookreview.com/.../

29 Posts

July 2nd, 2017 15:00

TuPav - I just bought the same Dell XPS 15 laptop that you did (32 GB, 1 TB SSD, Intel i7) and my fan is always running as well.  I currently have one instance of Chrome open with 2 tabs as well as Kapersky Antivirus running in the background, yet the fan is still running at low speed. I downloaded Dell Command Power Manager and even when I change the Thermal Setting to "Quiet," the fan turns off for about 2 minutes then runs at low speed.  

It's quit frustrating considering this is supposed to be a premium laptop with maxed out settings and the fan seems to always be working. It becomes even more frustrating when I compare it to my Macbook Pro which currently has about 60 tabs of chrome as well as other various tabs open and is dead silent.  Even when the Dell XPS 15 is silent, I hear a low static noise emanating from the machine. Im heavily considering returning the laptop as I'm still within the return window but I don't know what other laptop has 32 gb of ram that's not 17 inches

1 Message

August 22nd, 2017 15:00

If you have nvidia graphics set for default I would suggest switching it to Intel. That worked for me and my laptop stays quiet on less demanding applications.

September 6th, 2017 09:00

I submit that many 9560s are broken. I've been paid to work on PCs since 1996. Clean install and fully updated, the fan never shuts off.

3 Posts

September 6th, 2017 10:00

UPDATE

Hi guys, I'm the original poster of this thread and would like to give a quick update of my case.

After a long and arduous amount of communication with Dell Support in India, a Technician was dispatched to fix my problem on-site in London. He came around and replaced the fans.

That fixed nothing.

In fact, the new fans are a little bit louder than the old ones. Imagine that - all that time wasted on emails and arranging the visit, and nothing came out of it.

The technician noticed the fan noise, and the fact that fans come on and STAY ON, even when the temperatures are low. He was puzzled, and said he didn't know what the problem was. Perhaps it's a thermal controller on the motherboard he suggested.

At this point, I feel like Dell Support are throwing every idea at the wall, because they really have no clue. They now wan to replace the motherboard of my machine - a major surgery some would say, and I don't think I'll agree to that.

REQUEST:

Would owners of Dell XPS 15 9560 with Core i7 please share their experience of the fan noise of their laptop when plugged in - is it ON or OFF? Is it Quiet or Loud? Does it stay on all the time even when PC is idle? Thank you!

1 Message

September 12th, 2017 14:00

I too have a new XPS 9650.

Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz × 8, 16Gb RAM.

The fan is constantly on, although sometimes faster than others. The machine feels cold.

I have installet ubuntu (16.04 LTS) on it dual boot with the existing Windows 10. If I boot into Windows it is much more silent (although not ideal). I therefore suspect that there are driver issues related to non-windows.

TuPav - do you use the original Windows only?

1 Message

September 13th, 2017 08:00

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I got a guy who wants to trade in his XPS 15 9560 same as your top specifications,  for my rMacBook Pro 15. I am quite sensitive to noise when I am working on a laptop. You made me to determine staying on Mac OS.

3 Posts

October 30th, 2017 00:00

On my 9560 top of the line the fan never comes on except when I run something extremely strenuous and shortly after the strenuous load is over the fan turns off.

3 Posts

November 30th, 2017 11:00

how??

3 Posts

I have a dell xps 8900 desktop 11/2015 model w/ win 10 and it does the same thing all you laptop owners are experiencing.

Could it be intel core i7???

3 Posts

I have a dell 8900 desktop w/ win 10 intel core i7 and it does the same thing.  Recently its gotten worst.

Could it be the processor??

No Events found!