Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2017 08:00

XPS 15 9560 - Hard Drive not installed

I've had a brand new XPS 15 for about 2 months now and have now recieved a Hard drive not installed error. I have had a blue screen of death a couple times now and  the stop code was "unexpected store exception". I googled this and a potential error was that the start up drive could have issues with it.

I didn't get a chance to scan the drive as it crashed before that. Is there anything i can try other than sending it of to Dell or getting a replacement?

The model i have has a 512 Gb Toshiba SSD in AHCI mode with a fresh install of windows on it.

2 Posts

June 5th, 2017 11:00

Yeah i set it to AHCI after I did a fresh install of windows

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 5th, 2017 11:00

Did you set the SATA mode to AHCI?  The systems I have seen run the SATA as RAID....

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 5th, 2017 12:00

So the system has booted normally after changing the SATA controller?

Right now, all I would do is change it back to RAID to see if it will boot, at least for one boot attempt.

If you are not aware, the safe way to change from one controller to another is to use msconfig.exe to set your boot to safe mode.  Then reboot the system and go into the bios.  Make the change you want to make and then save and allow the system to reboot back into safe mode.

Then you can use msconfig again and set it back to normal boot and reboot.  It will not normally generate errors if done this way, but your situation is different.

A Toshiba drive came on my 9365 and I changed it several times and it seemed to work normally.  I have very little info on the 9560 so there could be some differences there also, one of which may be the version of NVME driver in your Bios.

No Events found!