Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2012 23:00

XPS 15 (XPS L50X) beeps 5 times repeatedly and won't boot or go to BIOS

I think it's a hard drive issue because I can also hear what sounds like beeps from the hard drive (even though hard drives aren't supposed to be able to "beep") and the system speaker beeps 5 times in a row, then pauses, then repeats.  It shows the initial BIOS screen with the options F2 Setup and F12 Boot Options, but neither options do anything.  I'm betting it's a head crash on the hard drive, but I'd like to know for sure before buying a new drive and re-installing Windows.  I'm not sure what the 5 beeps mean.  A Google search revealed nothing about my particular laptop

Thanks,
Patrick

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

October 5th, 2012 23:00

Hi Patrick,

5 beeps on the computer is Real Time Clock (RTC) power fail, possible cause would be CMOS battery failure.

Before buying a new hard drive, I recommend to run diagnostics on the computer (Restart the computer by holding Fn and power button) which would isolate the defective hardware.

Please post back the result.

1 Rookie

• 

63 Posts

October 6th, 2012 00:00

The F2 and F12 buttons don't actually do anything.  Last time I was able to run a hardware diagnostic, I didn't have the hard drive installed.  I currently can't get to the diagnostic tool.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

October 6th, 2012 01:00

Hi Patrick,

As the 5 beeps indicates error with CMOS battery, try reseating CMOS battery on the computer.

I have provided a link below which helps you in reseating CMOS battery:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsL501X/en/sm/coinbatt.htm#wp1179886

Ensure that the computer is turned off. If your computer did not automatically turn off when you shut down the operating system, press and hold the power button until the computer turns off.

After reseating the battery if the issue still persists, replace the battery.

Note: Reseat the battery only if you are comfortable in doing so.

Please let me know if you have any other queries.

1 Rookie

• 

63 Posts

October 8th, 2012 11:00

I can't get to the operating system. The 5 beeps no longer happen, but the hard drive still makes a beeping noise.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

October 10th, 2012 08:00

Hi Patrick,

I recommend running diagnostics on the computer.

Restart the computer by holding Fn and power button and the diagnostics runs.

Let the diagnostics complete and check if you receive any error code/message.

Let me know the status.

Awaiting your response!

1 Rookie

• 

63 Posts

October 10th, 2012 18:00

I cannot get to diagnostics.  No matter what I press (F2, F12, Esc, Del, others), the machine will not do anything.  It ignores what I pressed and goes to a black screen with a single underscore (_) as if it had no operating system.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

October 11th, 2012 07:00

Hi Patrick,

Disconnect the adapter and  remove the battery, press and hold the power button for few seconds and release to drain the flea power .Now put back the battery, connect the adapter and power on the computer. Check if the computer boots.

If you are comfortable reseating the memory and the hard drive, I have provided link below which would help you in reseating the hard drive and the memory.

Ensure that the computer is turned off. If your computer did not automatically turn off when you shut down the operating system, press and hold the power button until the computer turns off.

Memory:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Hard drive:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

After reseating the memory and the hard drive try restarting the computer. If it does not work try to install the operating system on the computer.

Let me know the status.

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!