Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2011 03:00

XPS 15Z not coming out of hibernation

I've just purchased an XPS 15Z (highest category with the 256 SSD) and face a few  issues

1- the computer often does not come out of hibernation, the system cannot be restored after it goes in hibernation mode.

on several occasion I have put my laptop in hibernation mode and when I turn it back on it prompts me with a black screen and an error message giving me 2 options (1 - either try to restore files or 2- exit safe mode and cancel restore) if I chose the first option of trying to restore the files it gives me another error message which says:
"windows boot manager
your computer can't come out of hibernation
status 0xc0000411
info: a fatal error occurred processing the restoration data
file: \hiberfil.sys
Any info that was not saved before the computer went into hibernation will be lost"
Therefore when I turn my computer back on, all windows and programs I had previously opened are closed and not saved
I have had to deal with this issue for over 10 times since I've had my computer (less than 5 days)...
2-  overall memory problem, with approx 50 Gb missing (might be linked to my first issue)...
I haven't installed anything on my laptop except for some photos that I transferred from my old computer (accounting for 40 Gb of memory) however I have 99 Gb of used space on my SSD.... this is weird since everytime I switched on my laptop theres less adn less space available even though I haven't installed anything new...
I've had the computer for less than a week but both these issues keep happening... 

9 Posts

April 11th, 2012 15:00

update, informed Dell support and this is what they came back with:

Thank you for your message and sorry for the late reply. We’ve been really busy these past couple of days.

Anyway, I’ve reached out to our Level 3 Support and this is actually a known issue with no official fix from Intel and us, as of this writing. We are aware of the situation and we’re currently working closely with Intel for a fix.

Now, as a temporary workaround, disabling the Intel Turbo Boost Technology should do the trick. It will not have any negative nor adverse effects on the system, except that you will not be able to monitor the CPU boost. Rest assured that the stability and performance of the system will not be affected in any way.

9 Posts

April 16th, 2012 05:00

have you tried closing the Intel Monitor on your desktop? Then put the machine into hibernation and see if it will start back up okay?

If it does, all you need to do is set the monitor not to automatically open on startup and your issue should be solved.

Worked for me, interested to know if it works for you too.

5 Posts

April 16th, 2012 05:00

Okay, I purchased an XPS 15Z with a SSD in March. It had software I could not get to work (Office 10), and the Hibernate 0xc0000441 issue. I returned it. I ordered a SECOND XPS 15Z without Office 10, on the hopes that the hibernate issue was a fluke. No luck. The new 15Z has the same problem.

I called Dell support on April 13. I spent two hours on the phone, and they acknowledged that there is a problem. I think they read this forum. They were going to research this over the weekend and get back to me. I'll let folks know the resolution. I told the repair guy he would be a hero if he found the solution to this problem.

5 Posts

May 10th, 2012 09:00

Update: I tried closing the Turbo monitor on the desktop, and it seemed to work for a few days. That is, the machine booted up from hibernation without crashing.

I let Dell close out the ticket (without any further conversations with tech support). They never seemed to find a solution anyway.

But, a week or so later, the problem was back. I operate without the turbo boost monitor running, and I get the 0xc000041 error about 20% of the time. Essentially, hibernation is not a reliable feature of the computer.

I've noticed that, in the past  month, there does not appear to be any further discussion of this issue. Have others found a solution? If so, please tell the rest of us!

11 Posts

May 20th, 2012 11:00

No solution - Dell has offered to take my machine and work on it a for a week - Should I thrust them if they do not have a solution.

FT

1 Message

July 2nd, 2012 03:00

I've been having the same problem on a dell machine with similar specs.

After reflashing the BIOS with the latest firmware (A10) the hibernation crash was happening once every 5 trials aprox. I now found that disconnecting the ethernet cable before going into hibernation, and re-connecting it after coming out of hibernation seems to have solved the crash. I've been trying this for over a week with no crashes so far. Not entirely sure what this has to do with the crash (maybe related to the wake-from-lan option, although that is disabled in my machine), but if anybody else wants to give this a try it might be worth it.

9 Posts

July 3rd, 2012 00:00

I tried and still getting same issue with and without ethernet. Finally put it in for a refund and bought an alienware instead! Dell support were very helpful sorting out refund etc, but nobody could solve hibernation issue.

One tech did mention that it could be due to partitioning of the SSD, but I've had enough troubleshooting for a lifetime without starting to reformat my drive again!

8 Posts

July 4th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

we have the same problem with one of two XPS15z....

Dell Support said it's because incompability of some SSD drives.

The notebook with working hibernation has a 240GB Mushkin Chronos, it's also working with Intel Speedstep enabled.

And the other one with hibernation issues has a 480GB OCZ Agility3 and it's even not working with Speedstep disabled.

I have also tested a 256GB Samsung 830 which only works with disabled Speedstep.

Could some of you please tell me which SSD models are built into your XPS?

8 Posts

July 4th, 2012 03:00

I think they want to get rid of it in any way. In my eyes, this model is absolutely the biggest piece of crap that I've ever come over. The chrome strip goes off and has sharp edges, it's more difficult to disassembly than other models, it gets very hot and the wireless speed sucks. I wish my boss had chosen a different model :emotion-14:

In our case, we bought the XPS with a normal HDD, on which hibernation works. But my boss needed a large 500GB SSD and so we bought it separately from a shop.

Because of this, Dell won't support us further. Anyway, Dell said that as business customer, we don't have the privilege to return something to get a refund (I think this is bullshit ^^) .

Now I'm trying to figure out which SSD are working and which do not.

But Dell told me, that they are now delivering with Crucial M4 SSDs. Maybe these are full compatible and even support Intel Speedstep. But who knows :emotion-43:

@zorzside

Does it not work either when you turn off Intel Speedstep in BIOS? Or is the problem back after some time?

37 Posts

256gb Samsung PM830, in my laptop hibernation doesn't work...

9 Posts

256gb Samsung PM830

11 Posts

I have had three XPz - all the same problem

I have had two different Samgsung Models of Hard Disks-

I have come across 30 plus cases of this exact problem -

Do you know why Dell keep selling the machine. ?

I bough the machine for SSD hard Drive and high processing capabilities. Now I often Loose my work if when the resume fails or I run out of battery - This has cost me a 2-3times the price of the laptop.

Can you recommend reliable brand with similar specks?

37 Posts

July 4th, 2012 04:00

i receive the error 90% off times also if i disable intel speedstep

9 Posts

July 4th, 2012 04:00

@FTimon

I went for alienware m14x - still dell, but works.

More pricey, but mine came with a free alienware monitor which I needed anyway, so pricing ended up similar.

Great machine, insanely fast.

Dell refunded my 15z and have let me keep it for a week overlap so I can transfer data across. Good service in that regard.

11 Posts

July 4th, 2012 05:00

Will look at it - and thanks a million

Good service is not selling a machine you know has problems and

It has taken me 3-4 days of personal time to work with them to repair the machine and still no result. Also I had to Swaping Data (150 GB) to three machines again more personal time 1-2 days work.

I paid for on-site service to avoid me waiting time fixing bugs. Money completely wasted.

I believe you should not sell a machine that does not function - or pre-warn the customer this machine does not do x

The machine is still on sale with the same problem they know about  for 6-9 months.

Sorry for the Blah - but the amount of effort and dell making up stories - has been hell.

and thanks a million  again.

No Events found!