Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 27th, 2013 06:00

XPS 17 motherboard warranty

Hello,

I have a Dell XPS 17 laptop. At some point it stopped working completely without any apparent reason (no damage, no strange noises, etc). Adapter was not the problem as it was perfectly working. Battery was showing full charge (5 out of 5 circles). Service check up concluded that the power inverter on motherboard is out of order and laptop requires motherboard replacement. Just to clarify, laptop is not turning on at all.

I have Parts Only warranty on my laptop and would like replacement motherboard to be shipped to my current UK address.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to call customer support which is why I am posting here to ask for assistance with the replacement process.

Thank you in advance.

Jevgenij Rodionov

May 3rd, 2013 19:00

Just to update you, I decided to contact Dell myself and after asking some questions they arranged motherboard replacement. I had to pay for labor but the new motherboard was covered by my parts only warranty. I didn't had to send my laptop anywhere, they've just sent a technician to visit me the next day after my call and replace it. Quite efficient. :)

Thank you for your help, it really helped me to figure out what to do next and saved me some time.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 27th, 2013 06:00

The mainboard doesn't have a separate warranty.  You need to contact Dell, go through the required troubleshooting, and arrange a repair on the terms of your warranty (unless you have onsite service, that means returning the system for a depot repair).  Mainboards are not considered customer-replaceable - they will not ship you a replacement board, nor will they arrange service without a tech support call or online chat session first.

April 27th, 2013 07:00

That is why I tried contacting Dell via forum hoping someone will get in touch with me for that troubleshooting.

I already have a supporting document from service proving my motherboard invertor is broken which I planned to provide if someone from Dell support would contact me.

Mainboards are not considered customer-replaceable

Does that mean if I take my laptop to any computer service, they call Dell and say my motherboard is broken Dell will provide them with a replacement free of charge (I have parts-only warranty) and then I pay for the work only?

April 27th, 2013 08:00

I've already went through warranty transfer process. My warranty status on Dell website says Parts Only with Europe, Middle East, & Africa as my country. I am in UK at the moment. So I guess that's covered?

The way you put it I have a choice of either calling them and troubleshooting myself or letting service to do so. But the way I see it from what you said, there is no point for me to call them myself since motherboard is not considered customer-replaceable which means they wont just ship it to me. Am I getting something wrong?

If simply put, what happens next after I call them and go through troubleshooting myself?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 27th, 2013 08:00

You can pay someone to contact Dell and do the troubleshooting, no problem - as long as your system is warranted where you're located.  If the system was purchased in a country other than where you are now located, you will need to transfer the warranty first.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 27th, 2013 09:00

You'll have to call and find out.  I've never heard of a Dell parts-only warranty but would imagine they'll require you to ship the system to Dell and then charge you for the labor to replace the board.

No Events found!