Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 2nd, 2017 15:00

XPS 9360 - Touchscreen works although disabled in BIOS

Well, that was a huge "wow" for me... The only reason I'm paying extra bucks for a better screen in my XPS was not a touch feature, but the resolution.

Obviously the first thing I'm typically doing is to disable touchscreen in BIOS. It's been working perfectly in my old 9550 but oddly doesn't work in my new 9360. Even though the touchscreen is disabled in BIOS the screen still reacts for any touch when running Windows!

Anyone is able to advise me how to actually kill touchscreen?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 23rd, 2017 05:00

Well, some good news here - after BIOS upgrade to 1.3.7 the touchscreen disabling in BIOS works as expected!

331 Posts

July 2nd, 2017 17:00

Hi mikolajek,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

Refer to this link http://dell.to/2pTq6GD, update to BIOS version 1.3.5 and uncheck the touchscreen in BIOS. You can also disable it in windows, please open the device manager> click on human interface devices> right click on HID compliant touch screen and left click on disable.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2017 00:00

Thank you for the answer! However I forgot to mention - I alreay have BIOS 1.3.5.

But I'll try the trick with disabling it in the Device Manager and post here back.

BTW - any idea why this happens? As said before, my 9550 doesn't suffer from a similar issue....

331 Posts

July 4th, 2017 18:00

Hi mikolajek,

Can you please restore the BIOS settings and then uncheck the touchscreen in BIOS. If the issue still persist, please send me a private message with the service tag details of the system.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 5th, 2017 06:00

I'm afraid I can't fully restore BIOS to the defaults, as it will inevitably change my HDD settings from AHCI to RAID and the OS won't boot up :emotion-7:. But as said at the beginning, I've actually changed only 2 BIOS values - RAID into AHCI and disable Touchscreen. vEerything else has remained in the state received from the factory.

If you don't mind then, I'll PM you with the service tag for investigation.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

July 5th, 2017 17:00

@Mikolajek,

Forgot to share this with you...

As a work around you can go into device manager and disable the touch screen. I believe it's listed under "Human Interface Devices". I can double check that tomorrow. Let me know if you need to know how to do it.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

July 5th, 2017 17:00

Greetings Mikolajek,

DELL-Infant R brought me your case. I'll be taking this to Dell engineering and will post back when I know more. It may be 1-2 weeks before I have any new information to share.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

July 7th, 2017 10:00

@Mikolajek,

The 9360 unit here in the lab is running BIOS 1.3.5. I tested touch screen in BIOS and in Windows and it worked in both. I then went back to the BIOS and disabled the touch screen ( unchecked the box ). The touch screen continued to work in BIOS but when I booted to Windows, in didn't work anymore, as expected.

The only thing I can figure is maybe we have a motherboard corruption on your system. I'll email you shortly with some options.

No Events found!