Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2017 16:00

XPS 9560 Keyboard - Keys unresponsive when pressed from edge or corner

I received my XPS 9560 last week, and it's a nice machine, however I'm having issues getting keys to register as being pressed.

At first, I thought that I was just getting used to the keyboard and missing some of the keys whilst typing - they work most of the time, however I've started noticing some patterns and narrowed down the cause.

Essentially, the problem occurs if I do not hit the keys exactly in the centre of key. Pressing either the edge or, more commonly, the corner will depress the key a significant amount, but apparently not enough to register as a key press. It is lost obvious when pressing either the right hand edge, or bottom right hard corner of a key. 

I've put a short video together demonstrating the issues: https://youtu.be/HAPq0vntpPk

(Please ignore the meowing noises in the background. Tux is a very vocal cat.)

I'm certain it's not a software issue as this has been happening across multiple Linux installs and whilst using Windows. 

Is this normal behaviour and something others are able to replicate? It's killing the typing experience for me on what is otherwise a very nice to use keyboard, and may be enough for me to return the 9560.

February 8th, 2017 06:00

Just had a tech replace the keyboard which has fixed the issue.

Seems I'm the first person to have experienced this issue and hopefully just got unlucky.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 6th, 2017 09:00

That user scenario (missing the center of a key by that much) is not something we nor our manufacturer would test. Your post is also the only hit I could find when searching for, "XPS 9560 keys unresponsive". Maybe some other XPS 9560 users will chime in.

February 6th, 2017 09:00

Thanks for the response Chris. I've been doing some research and querying on the matter myself, including bringing the issue up with Luke Presley who seems to be Frank Azor's XPS representative of choice on Twitter. Luke hasn't heard of the issue before either, so is asking around to see if the issue has been brought up before: https://twitter.com/JamesMcMinn/status/828617319521910785

(The video in my Tweet is perhaps a clearer demonstration of the issue)

The delete key is posibly the worst offender, and often doesn't work even when pressing down on the right hand third of they key, as shown in this video: https://twitter.com/JamesMcMinn/status/828623669505171458

I've also found that the L key will not work unless pressed very firmly even when pressing with my finger in this position: http://i.imgur.com/518Rjo7.jpg

I asked a number of reviewers how the keyboard on their devices compared, however the ones that have got back to me say that their keyboards don't appear to show the same issue, which makes me believe I that have a particularly bad keyboard.

I have found one other person, with a Precision 5520, who was able to replicate the issue, and had been noticing that they were getting things such as passwords consistently wrong, which I suspect comes back to the fact that touch typing on keyboards with the issue is near impossible.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 6th, 2017 12:00

Using the purchased warranty (either Return To Depot repair or Onsite), Technical Support could setup service to replace the keyboard.

1 Message

February 15th, 2017 19:00

I too have the same issue with the tab key. I also have issues with a few other keys exhibiting similar (though less egregious behavior). The tab key is particularly bad. I just submitted a ticket and thought I'd comment here to raise awareness of this issue.

1 Message

February 23rd, 2017 18:00

I'm having the same issue with my 'i' key. Very annoying.

2 Posts

April 19th, 2017 09:00

I have/had the same issue...I just had a keyboard replaced because of this and although the new one seems significantly better it still sometimes exhibits the same issue with some keys :-/

I either got super unlucky, or Dell has some serious quality issues....

I also prefer to type light which is probably why I noticed the issue in a first place,  but I never had a similar issue with any other laptop...

2 Posts

April 23rd, 2017 12:00

James McMinn: I guess you are a soft typer too? Did the issue get resolved for you 100% by exchanging the keyboard? Because my new keyboard behaves better, but especially the lowermost line of keys (and especially up and down keys) are pretty bad at this still :-/

4 Posts

April 26th, 2017 06:00

Same problem, same key ('i').

4 Posts

July 21st, 2017 05:00

Sent my 9560 back to Dell last week after having the issue for a week and it driving me totally insane. Could not trust that keys were being registered when I pressed the keys. Kind of basic you'd have thought.

I had a refund, instead of a replacement, as there seems to be far too many occurrences of it.

1 Message

November 29th, 2017 16:00

I have had this problem with my XPS 9550 last year, which I was able to get fixed with a replacement under warranty. I am now typing this from my dad's XPS 9560 (which he got after my recommendation) and his keyboard has exactly the same issue! unless you hit the keys slowly, firmly and centrally, you risk having no input registered or the key feeling like it's jamming or clicking against the surround. Will be recommending him get the same fix as I did but pretty disappointing that this is obviously a known problem that hasn't been fixed since with following models!

No Events found!