Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2017 12:00

XPS 9560 - Screen flicker

I have the 4K screen 32GB RAM model of the 9560. Every now and then the screen will momentarily flash black (for maybe 0.25 - 0.5 seconds) and then go back to normal. Sometimes it'll flicker slightly before coming back - also there is sometimes some graphic black and white stripes/corruption (kind of looks like a barcode effect) at the same time.

I've updated to the newer Intel Graphics drivers (which fixed the Chrome lag for me - i.e. version 4590) but I still get the issue. I have also tried disabling Chrome from running in the background and using Opera instead. But the issue still remains. Some Googling revealed that others had the same issue with the 9550 and a setting on the Dell Wireless drivers fixed it. I wouldn't be all that surprised if the Killer drivers were causing an issue - but unfortunately it does not have the same setting as the Dell Wireless drivers. I have also seen mention of disabling Hyper-v. Although I have Windows 10 Home (no Hyper-v), I've tried disabling the two Virtualisation settings in the BIOS but I'm still suffering from the issue.

I should add that it does not appear to be a mechanical issue. Moving the screen or tiling the laptop does not cause/replicate the issue. Instead, it'll happen randomly when the laptop is perfectly still.

It can go hours/days without the issue appearing and then suddenly I'll have two or three instances of it within an hour.

If anybody else has encountered the same issue and knows a fix then I'd be very grateful.

EDIT:

Having done some research, I see that this same issue has been reported numerous times in respect of the 4k panel on the 9560 and the 9360. See here:

- Anyone getting similar screen flickering from 9560? https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5xvuv0/anyone_getting_similar_screen_flickering_from_9560/
- XPS 9550 + 4K panel screen flicker thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-9550-4k-panel-screen-flicker-thread.795285/

The latter link also includes numerous reports of the same issue in respect of the 9550 (278 replies to that thread and counting). A user on Reddit posted a video on Youtube a couple of days ago showing the same issue I (and others) are suffering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=1vyBADhmgq4

Given that this issue has been present since the 9550, it would seem this is something that Dell has overlooked. The laptop isn't really fit for purpose with the screen flickering black. I'd be grateful if someone from Dell would confirm whether a fix for this issue will be released (and the timeframe). If not, I'd be grateful if you could advise how I can proceed with arranging for a return and refund.

15 Posts

April 19th, 2017 20:00

Some notes: screen will continue to flicker until I move the mouse. If I use keyboard, it will still flicker unless I use arrow keys to move the page. So typing will not stop the flickering if the screen is on "flicker mode".

6 Posts

April 19th, 2017 23:00

After saying I believe my problem is solved I just had a screen flashing. Not as bad as before or any bar codes but flashed several times.

With version 21.20.16.4627.

1 Message

April 20th, 2017 07:00

Please provide update! I just received new XPS 15 last week, and having screen flashing. Driving me up the wall.

21 Posts

April 20th, 2017 11:00

Pretty lousy. I also have it with .4627. It seemed to take a while, but then it came back quite frequently.

15 Posts

April 20th, 2017 16:00

I downloaded the new Intel HD 630 driver (released on 04/20/2017) on the 9560 driver update page, and I still flickered. Also downloaded all the new drivers released today too, and the Realtek one seems to be broken with the uninstaller/installer. Endless loop of uninstalling after multiple reboots.

Edit: After 8 hrs with the new drivers, my flicker seems to be back to it's previous state. There was only 1 flicker in the initial 5 hrs which I thought was pretty good. But after that, I went back to flickering every 10 minutes or so. 

16 Posts

April 20th, 2017 23:00

Update:

I called Dell support and they actually fixed the flicker! The technician remote accessed my machine and uninstalled all drivers, reinstalled from the Dell site, and we updated Windows 10. Now I have no flicker at all! Happy days!

17 Posts

April 21st, 2017 02:00

Yes, there are some new drivers for xps 9560 and Intel HD drivers among it. So there is a small chance that they finally managed to fix it. 

April 21st, 2017 03:00

In the past week I've only had some flickering (screen flashes for few seconds with vertical black line during the monitor refresh), let say about one a day or maybe less.

After windows creators update and driver update (the latest from intel and then the latest from Dell) the flickering problem is unbearable. The screen flickers for like 5 seconds every 30 minutes or less!

Chrome too is unusable, the text pages and the youtube pages start to block for some second during scrolling or during changing tab!

And the screen flick three time during the writing of this post!

April 21st, 2017 03:00

@thatfatdood Did he uninstall the drivers from Device Manager one at a time or he uninstall all of them (from the Device Manager) and then reinstalling all of them later? Did the system became unstable uninstalling all the driver (especially intel video driver)?

I want to try that but I also don't like to make a mess uninstalling all the driver...

17 Posts

April 21st, 2017 04:00

Installed the drivers from Dell. No flickering till now, but on the other hand my laptop was flickering very rarely, once a day or once every two days, so it is hard to say for me if the newest drivers fixed the issue.

Update:

after whole work day with new drivers and without connected secondary display I didn't notice any flickering.

46 Posts

April 21st, 2017 07:00

Uninstalled the old drivers, installed the new ones. Flickering still there. This is not the solution we have been waiting for.

6 Posts

April 22nd, 2017 05:00

I have the same problem with my Dell XPS 15 (9560) / 7700 HQ / 32 GB ram / 1 TB drive / 4k. The screen flickers occasionally maybe a couple of times a day when using the browser (Chrome) on a white background and hovering over the links with mouse. Sometimes I got flicker also while watching videos on YouTube (non-full window).

It seems to me that most people having this problem have especially the 32 GB / 1 TB version of Dell XPS 15. I haven't seen too many people reporting this problem apart from the ones with this configuration.

Also it seems to be a hardware related problem since uninstalling/updating drivers does not help. I'm still considering what to do with my machine, but most likely will end up returning it if the issue won't be solved.

1 Message

April 22nd, 2017 12:00

I also have Dell XPS 15 (9560) / 7700 HQ / 32 GB ram / 1 TB drive / 4k and get screen flickering so you might be onto something there wieus.

April 22nd, 2017 16:00

Same configuration as mine. But the Chrome freeze and screen flickers are very bad after the creators update and the intel driver update.

Or maybe it's just a coincidence and this problem is only time related (fail in the hardware). I'll try to wait for some optimisation before a clean installation or previous version installation of windows. For me returning and await for another unit is the last option (but inevitable if all of this still continue).

46 Posts

April 22nd, 2017 16:00

@wieus

Most of the people bought this configuration (best specs) so your assumption is a little biased. If you read the initial posts (page 1-3) there are people with other configurations reporting the problem. The only thing always common is the 4k display.

No Events found!