Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

February 1st, 2010 18:00

XPS Dvd/Cd hardware not working

Hello all, hopefully I am posting in the correct forum and someone can help me.  The details:

Studio XPS 1640

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53 GHz

Ram 4.00 GB

64 Bit Operating System

Windows Vista Home Premium SP 2

I purchased this laptop 2009 around March/April and believe it or not have never used the DVD/CD drive.  When I placed a CD in it to play instructions for my new cell phone it made a series of fast noises and then spit it out.  OK, so I tried a music CD, same thing.  I tried a DVD movie, same thing.  I tried a blank DVD disc and then a blank CD disc, same thing.  It is not recognizing the discs in the drive or is unable to read it and then spits it out.

Under "computer", E drive, DVD RW properties it is called PLDS DVD +-RW DL-8ATS ATA Device, working properly it says.

Location 0 (channel 1, target 0, Lun 0)

Does anyone have any ideas about what is going on and/or can help fix this so that it works properly?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Mark

14.4K Posts

February 1st, 2010 18:00

These are full size disks correct? As you are most likely still under warranty you should call tech support. I believe the drive may be faulty and from the way my 1640 looks it might be a bit of a pain to change out.

37 Posts

February 2nd, 2010 14:00

Yes, full size discs.  I also ran Diagnostics and Utility Partition.  It all came out fine except the drive read check because the disc will not stay in.  I put the CD or DVD in, it makes noise and then spits it back out.

14.4K Posts

February 2nd, 2010 15:00

The diagnostics would really mean not much for your situation. But i still hold to contacting Dell. I believe the drive needs to be replaced.

14.4K Posts

February 2nd, 2010 16:00

You are welcome.. Hope all goes well. keep us posted..

37 Posts

February 2nd, 2010 16:00

Thank you Sir.  This is what I suspected but wanted to try the Community first before spending hours speaking to India, lol.

Mark

1 Message

March 4th, 2010 01:00

I am having the same issue. Can you advise what the issue was if you got it resolved? Thanks!

No Events found!