Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2011 19:00

XPS L501X freezes/hangs randomly

Apparently this is a common issue, but I have yet to find a solution for it.  I got my XPS L501X in November 2010, and since then, I've had this laptop hang or freeze randomly.  Recently, I've had a good stretch of a few months where it hasn't happened.  However, today has been horrible.  I have had to turn it off by pushing the power button literally more than 50 times.  And when I mean randomly, I do mean randomly -- during startup, while on the internet, while even browsing these forums and registering to post this.

My laptop specs from Dell Support Center:

Product: XPS L501X
Intel Core i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz
6GB RAM

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64-bit)
Build Number: 7601
DirectX Version: 11

System Board
Chipset: Intel PCH HM57
BIOS Version String: A07
SMBIOS Version: 2.6

If I need to include any more information, please tell me.

January 6th, 2013 20:00

I had this problem where my laptop used to hang randomly and I searched many forums and websites but I could not solve the problem, I was getting desperate till I found a way to solve this problem for good.

This problem is cause by overheating. All you need to do is dissembling your laptop(there is a youtube tutorial for disassembling of l501X model) and take out your heat sink and fan and clean them carefully and get rid of all of the dusts. You may also refresh the thermal paste(I didnt do this one). After I cleaned fan and heat sink It is working great without any random freezing.

6 Posts

April 23rd, 2011 18:00

More of the same today.  Keeps hanging randomly.  There's no pattern at all.  Anyone?

130 Posts

April 23rd, 2011 21:00

Freezing could have its origin in hardware(for instance hd) or software. Hardware seems less likely in your case. Any piece of software that you have installed could then be the culprit, updates also.

Besides using ccleaner and defrag what I would do first is a system restore(restore to an earlier time). You would not lose any files, all new software and updates however would have to get installed again.

The next step if that doesn't help would be a pc restore (reset to factory settings or manual reinstallation, you would have to backup all files).

Good luck.

6 Posts

April 24th, 2011 21:00

From what I've read, a system restore of PC restore doesn't solve the issue.  I don't want to take such a drastic step to fix this issue.  There has to be another option.  I've already defragged and used CCleaner.  Did a virus scan and adware/malware scan.

Froze three times today, so it's not happening as often, but it's still happening.  Still randomly, too.

97 Posts

May 5th, 2011 21:00

Did this get resolved for you? I am having similar issues with my XPS 8300 new out of the box last week. Am currently on hold with a Dell tech to resolve the issue. He says it may be a failed Windows Update.

6 Posts

May 6th, 2011 10:00

Nope.  Still have that issue, plus now random crash dumps.  Not good.

3 Posts

May 8th, 2011 07:00

MY new XPS 8300 also hangs when my esata drive is turned on and Dell Support Center executes on schedule at 3pm.  There is not hang when the estata drive is turned off.

6 Posts

May 9th, 2011 15:00

Now it does something different.  The screen cuts out and goes black.  The fan still runs and the backlit keyboard lights up when I touch it.  I have to doing hard reset with the power button and restart.

And still no response from anyone working for DELL.  Come on!

6 Posts

May 25th, 2011 06:00

Does anyone from DELL want to even give a response to this issue?  The problem went away for a few weeks, but randomly started up again last night.  I've had it freeze on my three times in the past 12 hours.

1 Message

May 17th, 2013 00:00

I have exactly the same Laptop and I thought I was happy with it. I have been going through the same problem over and over. 

Dell is not being responsive in this regard. All I can do is Write reviews and not recommend dell to anybody. 

Dell, do you hear that?!

3 Posts

July 21st, 2013 18:00

i own the same xps l501x dell laptop and i used to love the machine until it started to freeze like crazy.... i tried re-installing the OS 4 times but that was of no good.... even tried contacting the dell executive several times but it was of no use. iv run the diagnostic but it dosent seem to show any hardware issues. 

July 21st, 2013 19:00

As I posted before, the problem comes from over heating. Change the thermal paste between heatsink and cpu/gpu and also clean the fan. It will solve the problem. If you are still on warranty, get your system checked otherwise you can easily do it yourself. 

I had this problem for 2 months and after changing the thermal paste and cleaning the fan, it disappeared. However make sure, you have checked all other possibilities for freezing.  

5 Posts

January 15th, 2014 03:00

Hi,

I also have this issue for some time now and I dell support agents could not identify the issue with my xps L501x. I fixed a new fan and new heat sink. Applied thermal compound (Gelid Extreme) but the issue is still there. I'm totally helpless now. I have spent nearly 1500 usd for that lap and now it's totally useless.

Can you please tell me what is the thermal compound you used, so I can apply the same and see..

Thanks & Regards

Kushan

January 15th, 2014 14:00

Dear Kushan, 

I used "Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Artic Paste". However it was not a permanent solution, after a while the problem came back again and I had to dissemble the laptop, change the thermal paste to fix the problem temporarily. After couple of weeks freezing problem used to happen. 

Anyways, I was really fed up and bought  a new laptop from asus and I am really happy with it. 

I am very sorry about this issue that you have.  I could not find a permanent solution for it. 

3 Posts

January 30th, 2014 20:00

Even I changed the thermal paste and got the fan cleaned aswell but it still freezes like it used to freeze before. iv thought of changing the hard disk as a last option, il keep you guys posted about this.

No Events found!