Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2009 17:00

XPS M 1730 - extremely disappointed

I have owned at least 5 different dell machines over the last 8 years, but my experience with the 1730 will probably drive me away from dell forever unless i can get these issues resolved.

I got this machine on Jun 18, 2008, under warranty, Dell replaced the power pack 4 times, plus installed a new hard drive, plus i sent it back to Dell for diagnosis.  My warrant expired on Jun 18, 2009, which was my mistake for not renewing the warranty, then on Aug 10 the laptop started having issues coming on.

Now the laptop wont start up at all (even though twice during my attempts to power it up Media Direct launched eventhough i wasn't trying to launch it).  Everytime i push the on buttom, the power light comes on, the data light comes on, the battery indicator light comes on but windows doesn't start up.  the the data and battery lights go off, while the power light stays on.  i can open the dvd drives, so the system is at least partially up, but i cant even get the bios to launch.  i have inserted the system disk in the dvd and tried to restart hoping that it would boot from the disk, but no luck.

can someone offer some advice as to what may be the issue.?  any help would be much appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 21st, 2009 18:00

Try reseating the memory modules - remove and reinstall them.  If there's no LED on the AC adapter, replace it with a new one.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 14:00

Memory modules not making good contact can prevent bootup.  The test is free and could save you the $400+ the mainboard replacement will otherwise cost if that's all there is to the problem.

4 Posts

August 22nd, 2009 14:00

there is LED on the AC adapter, and i did buy another power supply just to make sure.  when the problem started about 10 days ago, i would on / off the power button, then sometime between 10 and 20 tries it would boot up.  now nothing.  except i did direct media to boot, but i wasn't trying to get that to start.  any other suggestions?

what will reseating the memory modules actually accomplish?

No Events found!