Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

October 28th, 2009 04:00

XPS M1330 Battery not Detected on Upgrade to Windows 7

Strange issue here... and I dont know if the installation of windows 7 is a cause or  just a coincidence of timing.

I have just done a clean install of windows 7 ultimate (from vista) on my Dell XPS M1330.

everything works great... with the exception that I was immediately given a message by windows 7 that the battery was connected but not charging... even suggested the battery should be replaced.

I tried the blister button on the rear of the battery and  got intermittent flashing lights.... in the Bios the battery was detected.

Following day, Windows 7 tells me that Battery is not connected.... also checking Bios the battery is not connected... when I connect the PSU i get a blue light on the laptop for approx 1 second, and then soon after quickly flashing amber light.

Looks like a battery issue.... although I have doubts as was working well with vista before I made the upgrade.

- I have tried removing and reattaching the battery with no effect.

- Bios is already the latest A15... I tried to reflash the bios but cannot (need Battery connected).

any thoughts/experience out there?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 28th, 2009 05:00

First thing to try is a new Dell battery - it sounds like the original coincidentally failed.

October 28th, 2009 06:00

Thanks for the reponse... think thats what I will likely end up doing.

I did hear of a number of things to try out by going some google searching... I am actually not at home now so I am trying to make a checklist of things to try before I get home.

- Hold down Power Button for 10 seconds with the PSU and Battery disconnected (I have no idea what this is supposed to do... almost sounds like a joke... although is free and quick to try)

- Check closely the connections, possibly need to clean.

- I have a friend who has the Studio XPS M1340, not sure if they share the same battery but if so I will try that out also.

- will try and rollback to vista to see if 7 was the cause.

any additional thoughts of things to try before I lay out the 100+€ on a new battery?

Thanks

539 Posts

October 28th, 2009 07:00

Try the battery in a similar laptop and see if you get the same message.

If it's ok in a different laptop, what's the OS running?

Try UBUNTU as a water test, runs from CD, no need to install on your HD

If it acts normal under UBUNTU.....

October 29th, 2009 09:00

Hi, just an update on yesterdays testing :)

tried the powerbutton on for 10 seconds.... no success

inspected and tried to clean the contacts of the battery.... no success

tried a different PSU.... no change, can run on mains but no helping the battery.

tried Ubuntu.... no success in anything related to the battery.... but like the OS, looks pretty complete... and fast.

tried a diagnostic boot disk from Dell.... said everything was good.... battery still dead

would have liked to try my XPS M1330 battery in another laptop but my friends Studio XPS 1340 uses a different one.

Was checking yesterday prices of battery, 130€ with a 3+ week delivery time in dell for a 9-cell, anyone know of more good economical options?

Thanks,

2 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 04:00

I have this exact same issue with with  a Dell XPS M1530.  I was running XP on it with absolutely no problems with the batt ery.  I installed Windows 7 and it will not charge the battery.  The laptop runs great plugged in, but it keeps saying battery not charging.

Any other suggestions?

1 Message

November 5th, 2009 16:00

i have exactly the same situation, a day after i installed the windows 7 my battery is gone. the battery was in very good condition prior to windows 7 upgrade, i suspect new OS has something to do with this. i don't want to buy a new battery.... what if it will not work with my xps.

i don't think it's coincidence.

November 6th, 2009 03:00

After trying all the other possibilities I could manage I ordered a dell 9-cell battery... 150 € with packaging... not cheap. Also said 3+ weeks delivery and I have it in less than a week.... so something positive.

I entered the battery and immediately starts charging... so, seems was the battery in my case.

I do still question the "coincidence", ... was working ok with vista, upgraded and immediately not working.... 

51 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 08:00

For those of you having problems with the battery. I had the same problem too.

I too installed Windows 7 on about 12 Dell laptops that had the battery working fine in an older operating system like XP or Vista. The fix so far is simple. With the laptop on and plugged in with the AC adapter, I removed the battery and then placed it back in. It's a little awkward removing the battery that way, but this fixed the "No battery detected" in Windows 7.

Hope this helps all.

1 Message

June 18th, 2011 08:00

Did you ever solve this problem? I have the exact same issue, but none of the forums offer any viable solutions.

No Events found!