Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2012 21:00

XPS M1530 Screen Problems

Hello all, I am having a problem with my Dell XPS M1530 it is turning 4 years old this September and this is the first hardware problem I have ran into. Problem is my screen will flicker, fade in and out to negative/white/random colors when the screen is in certain postions. I remedy this by changing the angle of the screen (in basic terms; opening/closing the screen towards/away from me) and finding the position where there is no static and all is well.

It started out where only a couple certain positions were like this but after a couple months it has progressively gotten worse and now it takes me a good 30-45 seconds after opening up the screen to find a position that is a) comfortable for me to even see the screen, and b) a still screen with no flickering, negative, lined out pixels. 

I am pretty sure it is the LCD cable that is going bad, I am just trying to confirm this so I don't go buy the cable and end up needing a new screen to ultimately fix the problem (I would like to save a couple $$$) 

This is what I am looking at purchasing;

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=XR857&mfgpid=194218&chassisid=8270&~ck=baynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0

and I will be replacing it myself with the help of this tutorial;

http://blog.parts-people.com/2011/09/16/dell-xps-m1530-lcd-cable-removal-and-installation/ 

Will I be fixing my problem by replacing the LCD cable? Thanks!

-Marshall

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 21st, 2012 05:00

Check to see whether the fault shows up on an external monitor - if it does, it's the video chip -- if not, the cable replacement is a good first repair attempt.

3 Posts

August 21st, 2012 09:00

Hooked it up to my TV via HDMI cable, crystal clear in all positions. I ordered up that replacement cable and will attempt a replacement myself, doesn't look too hard? Is it?

1 Message

June 19th, 2013 20:00

Marshall, did this fix your problem?  I'm having the same problem with my laptop of the same mode.

3 Posts

June 19th, 2013 21:00

Worked like a charm! Just make sure you have a screw driver small enough (like micro) and you don't strip the screws that screw the screen back on they are pretty soft metal. 

No Events found!