Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2011 09:00

XPS17 (L702X) graphics card identification

Hi all, just received my new XPS17 a few days ago and finally have the chance to really check it out. I downloaded and run CPU-Z and one of the things that bothers me is my lappy was supposed to come with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 3GB graphics with Optimus card, when I run the cpu-z program this is what it detects:

Name NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M

Revision A1

Codename GF106

Technology 40 nm

Memory size -1024 MB

PCI device bus 1 (0x1), device 0 (0x0), function 0 (0x0)

Vendor ID 0x10DE (0x1028)

Model ID 0x0DCD (0x04B8)

Performance Level Default

Core clock 50.5 MHz

Shader clock 101.0 MHz

Memory clock 135.0 MHz

Performance Level 2D Desktop

Core clock 202.5 MHz

Shader clock 405.0 MHz

Memory clock 324.0 MHz

Performance Level 3D Applications

Core clock 590.0 MHz

Shader clock 1180.0 MHz

Memory clock 900.0 MHz

Now im no rocket scientist but the -1024 MB of memory doesn't add up to the 3GB it is supposed to have. Am I missing something or looking at it wrong? Shouldn't it read -3072 MB??

Also, before I placed my order I specifically ask the gentleman about the amount of RAM I could upgrade to, I asked him "I will be ordering my laptop with 4GB RAM, later I want to upgrade to 16GB, will I be able to order 4 - 4GB sticks and run 16GB?" he told me "let me check for you" he came back and said "yes, you will be able to". so I went ahead and ordered my laptop. A few weeks later I found this forum and seen where people did the same thing I did, ordered with less RAM with the intent of adding 16GB and when they received there lappy it only had 2 usable sockets. I used the chat option on this site, gave the lady my order number and asked again and the lady told me "let me check on that for you" she came back with the same responce "yes, you will be able to upgrade to 16GB when your ready". Well after being assured two different times by two different people I went ahead and ordered 16GB RAM from another place and had it here waiting for when I received my PC. Well I finally received my pc and the first thing I did was take the cover off and sure enough there is ONLY 2 SLOTS!!!!!!!!! After doing some searching I now know that ONLY the 3D models have the motherboards that have the 4 slots.

I'm going to call Monday and see what they can do for me, all I want is what I paid for and what I was told I was getting. I don't know if it will do any good but I'm going to request them to send someone out and replace the motherboard with the 16GB version that I was told it came with and replace the Video card with the one I paid for. I know there has been problems with the USB 3.0, I haven't tested mine yet, I will be getting my External USB 3.0 hard drive tonight.

When I bought my lappy I took advantage of my Dell preferred account, 0% interest on my purchase, so I'm not out any money yet, I'm thinking about refusing payment until my system is fixed.

Oh, theres more, I also have a new 120GB SSD drive I bought, I asked when I ordered my pc and they told me I would need a bracket, they charged me $1.99 for the bracket and $8 shipping. Well I don't need the bracket, the extra drive bay has one in it already. I canceled that order, good thing it has been on backorder for the last 5 weeks.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 14th, 2011 09:00

What does the BIOS (F2) report for the video?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 14th, 2011 10:00

If it's not listed there, go to support.dell.com, enter your service tag and look at the Original Configuration list.

15 Posts

May 14th, 2011 10:00

I can't find anything in the BIOS for video? See everything else, hard drive, bluray and memory.

No Events found!