Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2013 07:00

Xps laptop hardware or software problem not sure

My laptop turns on I see the dell logo yet after the dell logo it goes black then I receive a message saying it is either a hardware or software problem... And to reinstall windows 7 however I did not receive a disc of the operating system. How can I rectify this problem? I called technical support however they want additional money which frustrates me because it was working fine before hand and was virus free, which makes me believe that it is not software problem however I cannot go further on this matter until I reinstall I believe.... Can you help?

5 Posts

I will try both of these when I get home thank you for the quick response I will let you know how I make out

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

First thing would be a run of the Dell diagnostics - F12 at powerup.  Run the extended test on the hard drive and RAM (NOT just the quick 10-minute test).

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

Hello JamesJess,

There are few steps I would suggest which would help us in isolating the issue.

1. Releasing the flea power.
-- Disconnect all the external peripherals from the computer including the battery and the ac adapter and release the flea power by pressing and holding the power button for 5 to 10 seconds. Turn on the computer and check.

2. Run the Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA / ePSA) Diagnostics
This test would let us know if it is a hardware or software issue. Run the test and check if gives any error code. Note down the error code and update me with the same, would let you know the next course of action. If the test passes on all the hardware components, follow the next step.

3. Check in Safe Mode.
-- Restart the computer.
-- Keep tapping F8 on the Dell Logo Screen.
-- Once the computer enters Advanced Boot Option, select Safe Mode.
-- Press Enter.
-- Check if the computer is booting into safe mode.

Please try the steps and write back with results. I would also request you to mention the system model numbers with your reply. 

5 Posts

March 5th, 2013 09:00

Wow... wait I just got a new hard drive in November from Dell... this cannot be right there must be something else wrong in order to make me already have a new hard drive already. I am NOT a happy customer.

5 Posts

Okay I got an error code... Error Code 0142

MSG ERROR: CODE 2000-0142

MSG HARD DRIVE O-Self Test Unsuccessful Status: 58

and I said yes to run the rest of the diagnostics

Now what does that error code mean?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

You need a new hard drive.  If you're under warranty, call Dell with the error and they'll send a replacement.  If you're out of warranty, you can install any 2.5" SATA notebook hard or solid state drive that's 9.5 mm or 7 mm in height.

5 Posts

The model I have is XPS L501X

No Events found!