Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

October 27th, 2010 10:00

battery charging problem

I have a E1505 Inspiron laptop that only charges for about 20 secs then stops charging. if I unplug it and plug it back in it will again charge for 20 secs and stop. !have changed the power cord and adapter. no change!    What next?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 28th, 2010 05:00

If the battery isn't showing signs of failure, the problem is with the power jack or system board.

18 Posts

November 4th, 2010 20:00

Below is my post to a similar problem.  Incidentally, when I plugged the power supply in, the charge light would also light briefly before going out.  The computer would then give me an error message about "power supply not recognized".  It would power the laptop, but not charge the battery.

Gone are the days of simple laptops.  Dell laptops require Dell battery chargers and are designed to recognize them.  If the power adapter port on you laptop is damaged (by inadvertently pulling or jerking, etc), it may fail to identify the battery charger and refuse to charge the battery.  This happened to me.  Fortunatly, my 1737 has a daughter card which holds the charging port and related electronics.  I only had to replace it rather than replacing the whole mother board.  $15 vs $300.  Hope yours is made the same way!

And WHEN will computer makers design an external power supply port that is ROBUST!???  or do the just love the repair income...

No Events found!