Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

E

17 Posts

November 26th, 2008 17:00

connecting inspiron 1501 to hdtv

I have an inspiron 1501 laptop.  I want to watch video from the laptop on the big screen TV.  I bought a VGA to DVI adapter (from Radio Shack) and a "Premium High Resolution" DVI to HDMI cable (from online retailer SF Planet - through Amazon).   Obviously something is not working because my computer does not recognize the TV, and the TV says "No Signal."  I have read all the related posts in the forums and I have tried all options (re-booted computer and TV, display settings on laptop, external input settings on tv) except returning the DVI to HDMI cable and trying a different brand of cable.  Also, someone mentioned buying a converter box.  Not sure if that is a necessity or not.

My main question is if it is possible with my video card.  If it does not support this, then I won't waste time trying new cables.  It is an ATI Radeon Xpress 1150.  From what I gather, it's a low-end video card.  Not sure if this has any bearing on the current situation or not.  If anyone with this same video card is successfully connecting to an HDTV, i would love to know it.  Then I will try another cord or adapter or both.

Thanks to anyone who has some input.

49 Posts

November 28th, 2008 18:00

Hi Emwillkey,

I am not sure about the video quality on the HDTV display. Have you tried switching the Display. To SWITCH the Display Hold the FN key Down and hit F8.  This will switch the display from the computer to HDTV and back. :emotion-11:

1 Message

December 11th, 2008 04:00

I am trying to get the exact same setup for my parents. I bought them the laptop a year or two ago and now they want to watch Netflix Watch NOw from the laptop on the 720P LCD they have.  I haven't purchased any cables yet because I was unsure of the signal being put out by the internal vid card in the laptop.  I don't need high def and actually am looking at VGA to component cables. My focus has changed to the PC to TV converter boxes such as the KWorld PCTV1600. They cost a bit more than a cable does but they seem to provide some added functionality as well.  Did you ever get yours to work?

No Events found!