Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 7th, 2016 14:00

dell vostro 860 loop restart

hi,

i have a dell vostro a860. it starts, goes by bios, and then restarts forever. it doesnt pass to hdd in order to load windows 7.

i run the diagnostics utility. i get error 0146. 

i was able to start my laptop using hiren\s boot cd. i run chkdsk on my hdd - everything is fine. all my files are in order. i scanned with malwarebytes - all clean.

i believe that at startup, my laptop does check my hardware. due to a possible power loss, there is that error stored and that makes it loop restart.

how do i delete that error ? my diagnostics are pretty simple and wont let me delete the error - no such option. no options at all, only auto diagnostics.

11 Posts

June 8th, 2016 11:00

Yes. I did reinstall Windows and works fine.

To check the hdd on another system is not a good idea, just because with this particular laptop is very complicated to replace hdd. Poor design.

Thank you for your support, we can close this topic. Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 7th, 2016 16:00

This document goes over the diagnostics error codes and discusses codes ending with 0146. The paper instructs that resetting the BIOS to defaults can clear the error.  Enter the BIOS (start the system tapping F12 and choose diagnostics) Choose maintenance, load defaults press enter, highlight continue and press enter. press escape and choose exit and press enter. 

If the problem continues you are likely looking at a fault with the HDD. Please let me know what you find out. 

TB

11 Posts

June 7th, 2016 23:00

Done resetting bios. Twice. Same problem - laptop restarts forever. Run diagnostics again - same error.

If my hdd is faulty, why can I still see the files on it ? How do i run chkdsk at startup, in dos mode ?

I believe my last chance is to format the whole hdd and install fresh windows. Replacing the hdd is a real pain with this model of laptop - I have to dismantle the whole laptop, very poor design.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 8th, 2016 11:00

If the problem does lie with the HDD my thoughts would be that there are bad sectors on the drive.  Enough to keep the system from booting but not enough that you can't see your files.  If you are able to reinstall Windows on the drive then you may well be alright.  You can also test the drive on another system and see if the problem follows the hard drive or stays with the notebook.

I hope that this isn't the case and I find it unlikely, but if the drive works fine on other systems and all hard drives have the same problem on this notebook, then you are looking at a defective SATA controller and will need to replace the system board. 

Good luck and here is wishing that a reinstall is the solution and you can get your system up and running again. Please let me know what you find out. 

TB

No Events found!