Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

E

35 Posts

November 16th, 2007 23:00

dismantling CPi

How do you take apart a Latitude CPiA? My mothers has a tendancy to not turn on, or randomly shuts off. I fear the CPU is coming lose as that's what happened last time this happened. But warranty is over, and Dell won't touch it without charging an arm and a leg. I'm qualified to do this service, but have no clue how it comes apart. It's not like my CSx.

4.2K Posts

November 17th, 2007 07:00

Hi,

Download the manual, but if you turn it over, 6 screws for the KBD, then right way up. 2 for the heatsink and 3 for the CPU. There is also a clip to hold it in, this is where it will be loose, if it is your problem.

Regards Chris

940 Posts

November 17th, 2007 13:00

Here is the entire manual LINK
Look through it and you should find what you need.

Message Edited by dcgtls on 11-17-2007 07:57 AM

35 Posts

November 17th, 2007 15:00

Thank you, I was able to get the keyboard off. However the CPU doesn't seem to be the problem. So here's the symptoms. Won't turn on with battery, even though battery is fine. Will turn on with AC cord however, though sometimes randomly shuts off. When it shuts off, my mother says if she tries to turn it back on, it will turn on for 4 seconds (but no LCD), and turn back off. All that when plugged in AC. I tried her battery and AC cord on another CPi, and all is fine, no problems. I hear this was a common problem with the CPi's, but the fix was to get the motherboard replaced. Since this thing is past warranty, it would be better to just fix it myself. Being I handle electronic circuits all the time, this will be a piece of cake. But what component actually goes? Sounds like power management unit's. EDIT: Oh, the battery light sometimes flashes RED (not amber). Though the manual doesn't mention this color at all.

Message Edited by evildragon on 11-17-2007 12:14 PM

940 Posts

November 17th, 2007 19:00

I am going to take a guess that the problem is the power supply/charger on the system board. If this is the case you will need to replace the system board. You may be able to get a refurbished one on Ebay or possibly from Dell.

here is an ebay listing that looks like it will have every part you will need and it is currently only $9.99
but it ends in 1 hour from now.

4.2K Posts

November 17th, 2007 20:00

Hi,

A few things that may help, the top card is power / video. They can come loose and be fixed with a reseat. More often in the CPi and CP. Try an external VGA screen, if the suspend switch is dodgy it will power down without a screen. The card is small and cheap, many have replaced the MBD instead. Memory is another thing, try a reseat and the the other socket. I hope this will help, they are a nice machine !

Regards Chris

35 Posts

November 17th, 2007 21:00

Oh, that might be it! When I pressed on it, it powered on with the battery. I'll take it apart later in the week and reseat/clean all the parts.

4K Posts

November 18th, 2007 00:00

The second most common problem other than the CPU becoming unseated is the Left half of the 2 piece motherboard becoming unseated and giving the same symptoms. The left half overlaps the bottom right half and is connected to the bottom right half with 3 bar connectors on the CPiA. One bar connector is just forward of the keyboard and palmrest connectors and out of sight between the halves. If you press down on that part of the board which extends into that area, you may feel it reseat if that is the problem. The CP/CPiD is prone to the same problem, but has just 2 bar connectors. When the Keyboard is removed for maintenance and since it bears down on that part of the upper half and the small piece of clear plastic which the mfr. glued to the top of the board, that is when this usually occurs. I routinely do this reseat on any of the affected machines when reassembling them and then press down on the area around the SCREW hole when replacing that keyboard screw and then snug the screw up tight while maintaining the pressure to keep it from unseating again.
No Events found!