Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 25th, 2009 10:00

dropped my laptop: screen is dim, more likely to be inverter or backlight?

Hello,

I dropped my laptop about a month ago.  The computer works when I hook it up to an external monitor.  The laptop screen itself is extremely dim.  I was going to replace either the backlight or inverter myself.  Just wondering though - if it is because I dropped my computer on its side (about a two-foot fall), is it more likely to be an inverter problem or a backlight problem?  My suspicion is that its a backlight problem because of there was a mechanical shock...is this a fair assumption?

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Could be either - or could be mainboard damage.  You'll need a repair shop to diagnose and repair.

Why would it be mainboard damage?  The rest of the computer works fine...just not the screen.

So are you saying that given that I've dropped my computer, the probability that the inverter or the backlight is causing the trouble is equal?  Should the inverter be less susceptible to mechanical damage?

December 25th, 2009 11:00

Thanks.  Time to get out the multimeter!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 25th, 2009 11:00

Anything could have been jarred loose, or a cold solder joint may have broken -- start by reseating all the connections between the panel and the mainboard.  If that does nothing, I'd agree the bulb is the more likely part to have been broken - though it could still be inverter or mainboard damage.  A shop can check the output of the inverter to see if it's getting power, or the bulb to see if it is OK.

No Events found!