Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

JJ

1 Message

October 27th, 2008 15:00

eSATA and XPS 1530

Hi!

I have a XPS 1530. I want to connect a eSATA HD (Western Digital 1TB SATAII) using a Express Card Delock 3132. The problem is that Windows Vista doesn´t recognise the drive using eSATA connection but if I use USB port, recognises it.

Where is the problem? I´ve analysed thhe BIOS and the Laptop has AHCI option enabled.

LINUX SUSE 11.0 recognises eSATA connection.

HELP ME!!!!!!!! Please. Thanks:smileywink:

Message Edited by John James on 10-27-2008 11:02 AM

4.6K Posts

October 27th, 2008 19:00

Welcome to the forums :smileyhappy:

I've just had a look on the DeLock website, but your card isn't listed for some reason?  Maybe it's an EOL product?

Anyways... did you get/have you installed ExpressCard drivers?

The nearest similar product for which drivers are available on the DeLock website, is the 61386... but I don't know if those drivers would work for your model?

If you don't have drivers for yours, I'd suggest those ones have got to be worth a try?

6 Posts

October 28th, 2008 03:00

Not familiar with the delock you have, but if it is just like all the other generic silicon image chip one like the one I have from bytecc u r wasting ur time, esata speeds r so underwhelming that usb is faster or about the same. Just use the usb, its easier, and probably faster. If it can transfer faster I would like to know about it. my esata transfers at abt 11mbps sometime even less which is the same as usb, i have seen the same drive transfer upto 26mbps on usb.

4.6K Posts

October 28th, 2008 14:00

@Jedi XPS wrote:

Not familiar with the delock you have, but if it is just like all the other generic silicon image chip one like the one I have from bytecc u r wasting ur time, esata speeds r so underwhelming that usb is faster or about the same.

:smileysurprised:

Although we're never likely to actually see the sorts of speeds it's capable of - due to the limitations of current technologies, eSATA is (potentially) up to 6x faster than USB 2.0 (and firewire 400 of course)!

And eSATA has a constant faster transfer rate, whereas 480Mbit/s is USB 2.0's maximum speed, which it very rarely - if ever achieves, even in bursts.

For those reasons alone, there's absolutely no reason at all, why copying/moving data to/from a fast hard drive, in an eSATA enclosure, connected to an eSATA ExpressCard, should be slower than USB 2.0?

No Events found!