Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2012 19:00

how warm is 'too hot' for a laptop to be running?

i have a good fan-base for my new laptop, but it's still warm to the touch on the front left of the surface below the keyboard... it scares the bleep outa me, 'cause my old one fried the hard drive... 

so, how 'warm' can it get before it's too hot for its own good? 

1.1K Posts

October 11th, 2012 04:00

Hi mammamaia,

Please share your system model with which you are facing this issue. It is recommended to place the laptop on a flat surface. If your system is overheating, I will suggest you to clean the air vents and update the system BIOS.

Below are the steps to clean the air vents:

1. Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
  2. Turn off the System.
  3. Unplug the AC Adapter.
  4. Remove the Battery.
  5. Use Compressed Air to blow the dust out of the vents.

Note: Do not use your mouth to blow the dust out of a Laptop. If using a can of compressed air use the can according to the directions on the side of the can as you can cause damage to the computer if used incorrectly.

Please find the below steps to update the BIOS:

• Click on the link: http://dell.to/SAk7DW
  • Enter the system's Service Tag and select the operating system.
  • Go to 'BIOS' and select the latest BIOS available.
  • Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser” and click on “Download Now”.
  • Follow the on screen instructions and update the BIOS.

Note: The ac adapter should be connected and the battery should be at least 10% charged. Please disconnect all the external devices connected to the system before updating the BIOS. Your system will restart automatically while updating the BIOS.

Keep me updated. Please reply for any further questions.

27 Posts

October 11th, 2012 08:00

i don't think that can be the reason, since the laptop is only 3 months old... i really need to know only how 'warm' is normal for these laptops... it's an inspiron N5110...

No Events found!