Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2011 05:00

i can't able to access wifi in ubuntu

hi...

i have Dell inspiron N5010 model i can't able to work with internet by usins wifi but in windows it works . when i try to on the wifi in linux(ubuntu)it 

diidn't on,while i'm pressing the wifi key from the keyboard the bluetooth is enabled and disabled.

please help me to solve this issue!!!

January 26th, 2011 06:00

You need to download the driver for your wireless chip.

When I used Ubuntu, there was an icon that looked like a green hardware chip in the top right corner. When I clicked it, it allowed me to download the driver for my wireless chip, which allowed me to access Wifi.

Hope this helps.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 26th, 2011 06:00

hi...

i have Dell inspiron N5010 model i can't able to work with internet by usins wifi but in windows it works . when i try to on the wifi in linux(ubuntu)it 

diidn't on,while i'm pressing the wifi key from the keyboard the bluetooth is enabled and disabled.

please help me to solve this issue!!!

First thing you must remember when you transition to Ubuntu Linux is that Linux is not Windows and that what was in Windows world isn't really relevant to Linux world. If you want things to work like they do in Windows stay with Windows.

If your wifi care chipset isn't included in the standard Ubunt install then you'll need to connect your laptop by Ethernet cable to get a "driver" for your wifi if there is one available.

I suggest that you go over to ubuntuforms.org and start reading and learning.

January 26th, 2011 22:00

hi dude 

thanks for  your  but i didn't see any icon like you specified when  try to on the wireless key in ubuntu the blue tooth will turned on/off  whether there(in ubuntu) is possible to on the wifi manually.

January 26th, 2011 22:00

hello there,

thanks for your suggestion friend i try as you suggest in ubuntuforms.org

5 Posts

January 27th, 2011 14:00

Hi kathirvel88,

did you know there is actually a forum specifically for Linux users on this site? You may be more likely to find help for Ubuntu-specific questions when posting questions there.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3525.aspx

I hope you get your wireless to work. A few years ago, I used to have the same problem and solved it by replacing the internal Wifi card with an Intel Wifi card - the Intel cards are automatically supported by Ubuntu. Nowadays, even the Broadcom cards work with (proprietary) drivers for Ubuntu, but you have to use the procedure that ieee488 explained (connect to the Internet with a cable connection, choose System->Administration->Additional Drivers option, and let Ubuntu download the new driver for you, then click on the Wifi symbol to choose a network)

Welcome to the Ubuntu community!

January 31st, 2011 02:00

thanks buddy i hope this will help

No Events found!