Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

May 16th, 2011 23:00

inspiron 1100 memory upgrade not working!

Im trying to upgrade the memory on an inspiron 1100.  I tried 2 corasir value select 512 MB PC2700 SODIMM 333 MHz Memory (C13-2912) sticks.  Only response from the computer was to beep at me.  Corsair told me that the inspiron could not handle the 2700,  that it needed the 2100 266, so I ordered Ultra 512MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz SODIMM Laptop Memory.  Again, nothing but beeps. Both times, I tried each stick in each slot, individually and together.  I am not able to flash the bios as the battery no longer holds a charge.  Why can I not get memory to work in this computer?!?!.  The original memory does work.

Thanks,

2.2K Posts

May 16th, 2011 23:00

Dells can be very particular about which memory they accept.

Many people recommend using Crucial.com and their memory advisor to get memory guaranteed to work with your system.

Personally, I have had good luck with both Kingston and Patriot products as well,  but your mileage may very.

18 Posts

May 17th, 2011 22:00

I"ve read that it is good to flash the bios before installing new memory..... but I am unable since the battery no longer holds a charge.  Anyway I can force it while plugging into an APC?

2.2K Posts

May 17th, 2011 23:00

I"ve read that it is good to flash the bios before installing new memory..... but I am unable since the battery no longer holds a charge.  Anyway I can force it while plugging into an APC?

I do not know, but I can say I've upgraded memory multiple times on multiple machines and never had to update the BIOS to do so.

No Events found!