Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

January 27th, 2013 03:00

inspiron 17R SE screen IPS GLow

hi guys I just would like to ask for your opinions, I recently acquired my laptop.  but it seems my screen is having weird viewing angles specially on black.  I asked a dell chat assistance but no luck yet on finding a solution.  Unfortunately laptop is outside the US now :( Havent ask for the a service transfer yet.

here's some picture and video

dell screen Photos by lexluthor_26 | Photobucket

January 30th, 2013 05:00

anyone?

58 Posts

January 30th, 2013 12:00

Sorry mate, but I can't offer you any real help, other than to confirm that plenty of other folks are complaining about the "white glow" with IPS screens (not only DELL though).

In your case, it sounds like a warranty repair/replacement issue, as your screen's definitely defective.  There's NO way you should see the glow when looking square on at the screen, at any image in the dead centre of the screen.  Apparently it's common to see it lightly at the far corners of an IPS screen when it's viewed from an off-centre angle.

It also seems to occur mainly with screens having anti-reflective coatings (such as DELL) because most high gloss screens don't suffer nearly as much, if at all, from this problem.

Let's hope a DELL guy responds.  Good luck.   :emotion-22:

—Geoff.

PS:  I've just bought one of these 17R SE 7720's myself (Dec 12) and I'm not happy with quite a few minor but irritating issues—mainly to do with the display, but nothing like your glow problem.  I think most of my issues are to do with its back-lighting not working properly—random flashes and flickering etc.  Also the NUM lock turns itself on and/or off at random intervals LOL.

January 31st, 2013 02:00

^ thanks  ausGeoff, atleast I know now its a common issue, I reported it to Dell unfortunately Im in asia so tag transfer is needed, and its already transferred here just yesterday, will be contacting local Dell tech for the service.  

January 31st, 2013 16:00

your exactly right the slightest change in viewing will change the screen color. Unfortunately, I do web designs and colors are important so I will have this change if possible

62 Posts

January 31st, 2013 16:00

I have that same problem! I thought it was just the way these monitors always are. I pretty much have to be dead on center with the screen, the slightest tilt of my head throws the colors way off and I see a dark shadow on 1/2 of the screen, and I always have that glow as well. I have a few Dell IPS monitors where I work and all of the behave the same way. My wife has the 17R 7110 (non IPS I think) and the viewing angle on that is way better then on my 17R SE. I notice when I look at the IPS monitors at work or the one on my 17R SE my eyes start to hurt after a few minutes but not on any of my other LCDs, all of my other LCDs ranging from 1-6 years old have better viewing angles.

I wonder if I should have mine replaced or am I being too picky?

58 Posts

January 31st, 2013 23:00

I wonder if I should have mine replaced or am I being too picky?

Nope; definitely not being too picky.  For the comparatively high dollars that these DELL machines sell for, they should be picture perfect—literally.

There shouldn't be any backlight leaking or white glow from any reasonable angle.  I note that some of the other big brands of monitors are advertising a horizontal viewing angle of 178 degrees!  (Which, in all honesty I highly doubt.)

62 Posts

February 1st, 2013 10:00

Do you guys know if Dell will just replace the screen or will they want me to send them the whole laptop back and then send me a new one? Just replacing the screen sounds like it makes sense but we all know how much common sense is applied in the corporate world.

I would like to keep what I have (CPU and GPU wise) since I feel like I got good 650m in there, stays nice and cool at load (around 74 Degrees C) I would hate to get sent a system that has a lower binned GPU in it, or a bad thermal paste application of either the CPU or GPU. Thanks.

58 Posts

February 1st, 2013 17:00

Not sure Rafter...

Depends on DELL's attitude entirely I'm guessing.  From what I've read on these forums (and my personal experience with numerous tech issues with my 17R 7720) DELL are very reluctant to repair and/or replace under their warranty.  It seems that even if a laptop is DOA, they'll endeavour to fix various bits and pieces to get it functioning properly.  It can be a time-consuming and frustrating process from the user's viewpoint, and in my opinion, totally unsatisfactory.

Unlike a lot of high-tech companies, they don't have a replacement warranty in place—that is, you send yours back and they send you a brand new (and not refurbished) replacement.

My newish laptop is still having several intermittent problems—including a warped (keyboard) casing—and DELL's agent in India just chose to ignore that issue.  I'm still getting intermittent,  intense white flashes from the backlighting which looks like a camera's flash going off in your face.  DELL can't fix that.  Also my NUM lock turns itself on an/or off randomly at shutdown/reboot  Again. no answer from DELL.

Anyway... back to your screen problem.  In my opinion, the screen accounts for 90% of the operational ability of any laptop. And if it's obviously faulty, should be replaced ASAP by DELL with no questions asked.  It's like selling you a car without an engine LOL.

I only bought my DELL because of all the positive reviews of the company's ALLEGEDLY excellent after-sales service and warranty conditions.

As it turns out, that's all just froth and bubble.  Like all these sorts of multinational companies, when it comes to crunch time for their consumers, they just don't care.  DELL is all talk and no action.

And as I've posted elsewhere, I would NEVER again buy any DELL product.

—Geoff.

62 Posts

February 3rd, 2013 09:00

@LexLuthor26 and ausGeoff, would you mind checking something for me. Could you look in the device manager and go to Monitors and right click on the Generic PnP Monitor, go to properties, click on details and change the property to Hardware Ids, what does it say under value after MONITOR\?

I did an experiment and my 17R SE with screen problems is AUO159E, meaning it was made by AU Optronics. My Wife's 17R N7110 is SEC, meaning Samsung, and her screen is much clearer then mine, no glow, no grainyness, does not hurt my eyes like my 17R SE. I would like to see if the problems are coming from the AU Optronics panels. I checked some other laptops and screens around my office and the ones that are AU Optronics seem to be inferior to the other brands (To be fair there were still a few good ones), maybe less QC over at AU Optronics?

Thanks

February 3rd, 2013 17:00

@ Rafterman414, yes I have the same panel auo159e :( i havent got the chance to call local dell tech here, I will this coming days, will update this thread for updates. cheers

62 Posts

February 3rd, 2013 17:00

Lex, thanks for checking on that for me. I chatted with tech support today and after describing all of my symptoms they were very understanding and did not give me any problems processing the replacement, I will be getting my panel replaced in a few days. Hopefully your experience is as easy as mine was.

I'll tell you what though as soon as the tech installs the new panel I will test it out and immediately check the supplier from the device manager. I am not sure who supplies the panels for the 17R SEs, hopefully I will get lucky and get a Samsung or LG panel since based on the testing of the laptops/monitors that I have available those ones seem to be superior. Apparently this is not uncommon when it comes to displays now a days, I have heard of some people going through 5 or 6 replacements before they found one that is satisfactory. If the replacement panel is inferior I wonder if there is a way to specifically request a panel from a particular supplier?

Basically right now my 17R SE is a desktop, I have to use an external monitor since looking at the laptop panel for more then 10 minutes is just unbearable.

Once I get the panel replaced I will let you know how the new one is.

58 Posts

February 3rd, 2013 18:00

Rafterman...

Hardware ID:  Monitor:  LGD02DA

62 Posts

February 5th, 2013 14:00

So the tech came out today and put in the new panel, it is an improvement over the last one, still has some backlight bleeding and graininess buy nowhere near how the old one was. It is still an AUO panel, no where near the quality of any of the other laptops in my house, I feel like it should be better. Not really sure if I want to go through this again or just return the laptop and build myself a desktop for the same cost that will be more powerful, I might just return it since I am going to be using an external monitor anyway since the one on the laptop is terrible.

EDIT: Ughhh. Also just noticed that the bezel is not flush, I am not sure if it happened when the tech was here or if it has always been like this and I just now noticed it since I am thoroughly inspecting it. In addition there are two small nicks on the silver colored area near the right hinge and the right touchpad button is kind of sunken in.

Would someone mind checking to see if their bezel not flush? It is mostly stuck out in between the camera and the screen and also down by the inspiron logo. And when the lid is closed it pops out in between the inspiron logo and the right edge of the bezel and I have to pop it back in every time. I can deal with nicks on there since I have kids (would have happened eventually) but the warped bezel is bugging the heck out of me.

Here are some pics of the busted bezel, (link opens in new window). http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19490128/20293429.aspx#20293429

62 Posts

February 5th, 2013 17:00

Yeah the tech got out the door pretty fast, plus I was not looking for a busted bezel to begin with I was too busy looking at the image on the screen. I was pretty upset with how the tech worked on the machine, he was wearing a jacket which kept rubbing on the motherboard and did not use an anti static wrist strap, I am a systems administrator so when I see things like that happen I cringe. Did you see the pictures in my other thread that I linked? it is pretty bad.

What is the Dell return policy? Is it 21 days from the date of invoice? If that is the case then I shouldn't have a problem returning it since it was ordered on the 21st, but time is running out so I am done giving Dell second, third and fourth chances. Between the screen problems, BIOS issues, GPU P-State Problems, problems returning from sleep, and now these problems I have about had it.

I think the worst part is that my wife bought me this laptop as a gift and now she feels bad.

58 Posts

February 5th, 2013 17:00

Wow!

I can't believe the tech even considered leaving your machine in that state.  If this is really the best that DELL can do, it makes you wonder if you're better off just putting up with a lousy display.  Rather than have them actually making it worse.

Can you please let's know how you go returning this $1300 paperweight, as I'd like to do the same.

—Cheers, Geoff.

No Events found!