Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2012 17:00

inspiron e1705

hello i was woundering has anyone have info this laptop series when i turen it on the light above the keyborad is flashing and wont boot the "9" light is solid and the number lock and scroll is flashing and i cant find out what trhis is telling me.... if anyone has a clue please share...

Thanks in advance

Lizzard

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 29th, 2012 17:00

The memory module(s) isn't/aren't being detected.  Try removing and reinstalling the memory modules.

4 Posts

May 29th, 2012 18:00

I thank you for that now the lights are out but it comes on for a sec them shuts off i put different memory in

May 29th, 2012 20:00

Hi  lizzardny,

Welcome to the community,

This could be an issue with the motherboard as well as the memory module. We can perform these steps to isolate the part causing the issue:

Turn off the computer, Remove all external peripherals, plug in only the AC adapter and Press and hold the key on the keyboard while pressing the power button. Release both buttons as soon as you see any lights flashing on Num Lock, Caps Lock and the Scroll lock LED.

If you still get the same flashing pattern (Solid, Flashing, Flashing) then

1. Please reseat the memory chips

2. Try to boot the computer with one memory chip at a time

3. Try to swap the memory chips on different memory slot, try that on both the memory chip

If the computer boots up with only one of the memory chip in any of the memory slots, then the issue is with the memory chip. If the system boots up with both memory chip on single slot then the memory slot on the motherboard is bad.  However if the computer does not boot up with different combination of memory and the memory slots then the issue is with the system board as it is very rare that both the memory chip go bad at the same time

Let me know of the findings, glad to be of assistance.

Pankaj_Sharma

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

4 Posts

May 30th, 2012 19:00

The lights went away now it just turns on for 5 sec or less nothing on the screen and shuts off any ideal or any thing i can do to test it....i thank you for your help

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 30th, 2012 19:00

At this point, try the memory modules one  at a time -- if that doesn't get the system to power up, replace the mainboard.

May 31st, 2012 18:00

Hi  lizzardny,

Thank you for your response.

Please check if you are getting any activity on the caps lock, num lock and the scroll lock LED, Also have you tried to reseat and swap the RAM chips as I suggested in last post?

Please Let me know of the findings, glad to help you

Pankaj_Sharma

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 3rd, 2012 11:00

That's a keyboard error.  What happens if you don't hold the FN key?

If you still get nothing, try the modules one at a time in each socket - if you can get the system to boot with just one module, the other socket (or module) is bad.  Then try the module that works - if it works in one socket but not the other, the socket is bad.

If no combination of tries works, the mainboard is bad.

4 Posts

June 3rd, 2012 11:00

The switching of memory worked it stopped flashing and ues holding FN button down the cap lights and number lock flash till i let go of the FN key ...now it turns on for 10 seconds and shuts off nothing on the screen either

thanks for all your help

LIZZARD

June 4th, 2012 19:00

Hi  lizzardny,

Thank you for your response.

Is the computer able to turn on if you do not use the Fn key? Also please try to turn on the computer with both the memory chips out, please check if you are getting any beeps from the computer with no memory installed on the computer. Also please keep an eye on the three LED's status (Caps lock, Num Lock, Scroll Lock).

Please Let me know of the findings, glad to help you

Pankaj_Sharma

No Events found!