Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2010 04:00

m11x CPU Fan stuck on 100%?

Hi, I'm a proud owner of a new m11x however I've got a major CPU problem and it seems to be affecting most people!

I have issues with the fan on my M11x as it seems to have a mind of it's own.

If I switch to the Nvidia GPU, the fans comes on almost immediately and turns on and off on a regular basis - Which is normal

If I switch back to the Intel integrated GPU, the fan stays on constantly - Not normal!

If I reboot and keep it on the integrated GPU it behaves as it should.

When the CPU fan is at 100% it seems to get stuck and is basically blowing out COLD air. I've raised a support ticket with Alienware and they have suggested the following:

1) Reinstall the Intel chipset drivers - got an error while attempting this

2) Reflash the BIOS - wouldn't let me as the BIOS was the latest version A01

3) Uninstall the Command Center - No affect I have also fully restored it and have the same issue!

This also seems to be affecting alot / almost everyone with the M11x, is this a bios issue or is my CPU fan faulty? :emotion-6:

Thanks

April 12th, 2010 16:00

Bump :emotion-6:

6 Posts

April 21st, 2010 20:00

I am also having this issue.  Anyone have any solutions to this problem?

April 22nd, 2010 04:00

Well guess what... this happens on the new Studio 1749 too!

I guess the engineers don't know how to make a BIOS anymore... well anyway, on the studio all you can do is reboot or stresstest the CPU so that temps rise and debug the fan...

April 22nd, 2010 20:00

Is it likely to be the BIOS then?

I called up dell and they wanted to replace my whole motherboard and CPU fan!!!

This is on a brand new system less than 2 weeks old!!

April 27th, 2010 10:00

MR_DOUGHBOY,

You are not alone with this issue! 

I believe to have identified the issue (see below). This is affecting *ALL* - M11X owners. I have posted a more detailed report regarding some of issues that all M11X owners are experiencing.

I would like you to follow my post: "M11X - Issues Documented. PLEASE Update the BIOS!" and bump it regularly. The problem with using this forum is that the posts get lost easily, but if we team up and have a few people make it highly visible we are more likely to get some action!

Again, Please follow my post: "M11X - Issues Documented. PLEASE Update the BIOS!"   which also includes a detailed report of other issues.

Regards,

Abnormal_Brain

1. When switching back to the IGP from 'discrete graphics' the 'discrete graphics' card remains powered on. This is causing the laptop to lose a good deal of battery life and is also causing the fan to spin up to cool it down.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Switch to the 'discrete graphics'

2) Without rebooting, switch back to the IGP.

NOTE: The fan will continue to power up and down even at idle. Also note that BATTERY LIFE has been greatly reduced until the next reboot. When booted with    IGP, the fans will remain off when the system idles for long periods.

Steps to test:

1) Switch to the IGP and Reboot.

2) Using GPU-Z, note that the 'discrete graphics' hardware readings are NOT displayed.

3) Switch to the 'discrete graphics'.

4) Using GPU-Z, note that the 'discrete graphics' readings are now being read.

5) Switch back to the IGP and DO NOT REBOOT.

6) Using GPU-Z, note that the 'discrete graphics' values are still being read (core clock, temperature, shader clock, etc.). The system fan will turn on when the discrete GPU (which is 'supposed to be off) reaches 44C and switch off again when it reaches 40C.

Workaround:

1) When switching back to the IGP, reboot. This is not ideal, rebooting the machine will lose productivity time and will also eat considerable amounts of battery life.

Conclusion:

It would appear that when you switch from the 'discrete graphics' to the IGP that the 'discrete graphics' is still active causing extra heat, and reducing battery life.

No Events found!