Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2011 11:00

no video on boot when docked: e6520

I have an E6520.  Everything was fine until the user spilled wine on it.  Had to replace the mobo and a few other parts.  Then I updated it to the latest BIOS A07.  Now when it is docked with the lid closed, and then powered on, it has no video on the dock monitor (dvi connected) until the login screen comes up.  The bios should show video almost as soon as it is turned on.  I would like to try an older BIOS version but cannot find older versions on the new dell support website.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

November 21st, 2011 13:00

Charles

If the system shipped with Nvidia Optimus then you will likely not have any video though the docking station until Windows loads.  The Nvidia GPU controls the video link through the docking port.  With Optimus working, Windows has to load before the Nvidia GPU is activated, thus there is no video until Windows loads.  They may be an option in the BIOS to disable Optimus.  If you choose to do this you may have to reinstall video drivers but you should have video when docked when booting the system.  Or you can simply leave Optimus running, and if you need to see screens before Windows loads, simply undock the system when booting.

TB

85 Posts

bios A05 makes no difference

85 Posts

Well, now I believe this is standard behaviour for this model.  The problem the user was having that got me started was a driver issue.

1 Message

April 25th, 2012 06:00

My E6520 is running the A12 BIOS.  I was having the same problem when using DVI out on the docking station.  I was able to get the external monitor to display during POST by replacing the DVI video cable with a VGA video cable.  Apparently, the video out before Windows boots won't display the DVI connections.

1 Message

November 9th, 2012 07:00

Hello,

we also have the same problem with the E6520 and 2 Monitors via DVI connected. Bios is A15 - no Video during POST. With an E5520 all works fine. Why can´t Dell solve this Problem?

Marcel

No Events found!