Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2009 10:00

overheating e1505

Hello!

I have an overheating e1505 that does not seem to be following the typical patterns of overheating.  The CPU and video card (per i8kfan and speedfan) are running perfectly fine (in the ~40C range usually), but something around the intel chipset (on the right side of my computer) is heating up pretty well.  It's not the hdd (I've switched it out with another one, and the problem remains), but it's around that area (maybe a little bit closer to the right-center area of the bottom of the computer.  A laptop cooling fan helps, but does not solve the probelm.  With the cooling fan, I'll usually get around 2 hours without a hard freeze, but without, I'm lucky to get an hour.  Any ideas on how I can fix it?  The cooling fan is functional and non-blocked, but it only cools the video card and processor anyway.

121 Posts

March 22nd, 2009 13:00

Hi,

I have a 6400/e1505 which runs on the hot side(never froze up).

If you are using XP get the XP speedswitch control from here:

http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/

set it on dynamic so that it goes back & forth. If you force a notebook CPU to it's fullspeed 100% of the time overheating

will be the result.

ALSO

Most of the laptop coolers are garbage.....Get this one

NZXT Black Aluminum Notebook cooler w/ 3 120mm adjustable fans Model CRYO LX - Retail:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997340

It's at newegg, but you might find it elsewhere for better then $64.99 with $15 (mail-in rebate) but not likely.

with 3 x 120MM fans blowing air up into the RAM & Chipsets(my thought is it's your northbridge which gets hot on the 945)

If something like that doesn't fix your heat problem, then I'd suggest you dissasemble your e1505 and look for the culprit.(scorch marks may be present)

I had taken my 6400 apart, and put a small thin copper heatsink on the northbridge about 6 months after getting it, when I noticed it getting hotter then I liked, after Dell replaced the cooling fan/HS

(yes you'll have to MOD it (Using one of those little hand-held Rotary Tool Sets  to fit it perfect ) a dab of Ceramique will cement it permanently enough for your needs

PG

PS (this is my lady's username, but I got tired when the switch happened, so I just use hers, from time to time)

JC

It's the one I use and I haven't had a temp go over 40C

March 23rd, 2009 00:00

Is the northbridge chip the one that has a very clear "intel" label between the ethernet port and battery?  It usually doesn't matter much what I'm doing on the laptop  - freezes no matter if it's just sitting there or folding while playing video - does help if the laptop cooler's blowing directly in the vents next to the ram (under the aforementioned "intel" chip"), but doesn't fix it.

I'll try out the heatsink idea and see how it goes.  Thanks for the help!

No Events found!