Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2013 10:00

possible motherboard failure?

My Inspiron 17R N7110 goes straight to the BIOS setup menu on startup, and fails to boot to the hard drive. I ran the Diagnostic, and I get a "failure to find hard drive" error and a ePSA code (2000-0147) that indicates the optical drive isn't connected. The troubleshooting steps say to check the cable connection - both components are hard plug-ins, and neither are loose. Am I correct in thinking that the motherboard has failed, or is there another component in common between the two drives? This computer is only 14 mopnths only, unfortunately...

Thanks, Clint

6 Posts

I'll go ahead and do that. Is it common for a HD failure to cause the DVD drive to act failed as well?

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

Hi Clint,

Please refer to the service manual and remove the optical drive and check if the system is booting.

http://bit.ly/YvgnFe

Let me know about the progress.

6 Posts

I get a "media test failure" error when trying to boot from either the optical or hard drives, if that helps, with a suggestion to check the cable.

6 Posts

"14 months old" - apparently I can't type today either.

6 Posts

Removed the optical drive and it still did not boot. I am getting a clicking noise for about ten seconds during the boot attempt from what I'm guessing is the hard drive, however - that wasn't happening previous the failure.

147 Posts

I believe that your problem is the HD.  Get a new HD from Ebay and try that because even if the mother board is the problem you can always use the HD as a backup unit.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

June 26th, 2013 18:00

Hi Clint,

Since the optical drive is removed, Try running the hardware diagnostics to check if there is an issue with the hard drive. Run the diagnostics by tapping the F12 key a few times during startup until you see the ‘One Time Boot Menu’ appear.

At the one time boot menu, press the down arrow key to highlight ‘Diagnostic’, and then press Enter to begin the hardware diagnostics.

If the test fails, please make a note of any error codes listed. You can also refer to the link below.

http://dell.to/OUGnqT

Let us know about the progress.

1 Message

June 26th, 2013 18:00

I also had this problem with a dell laptop just out of warranty. made the mistake of getting another dell and this time it has done it at only 4 months old. It's impossible to get past technical support and speak to someone about honouring  my warranty. If you do have dealings with these people make sure you get a case number straight away as I have been told that I didn't have conversations with people who gave me their name and promised to get someone to call me back. Won't be buying Dell again

6 Posts

June 26th, 2013 20:00

Senthil- The diagnostic test fins no other problems but "hard drive not detected" - there were no codes generated. It did ask me it I wanted to continue the test after not detecting the hard drive, which is what I did. Everything else came up green checks. Time for a new hard drive?

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

June 30th, 2013 19:00

Hi poda,

I am sorry for the inconvenience, please let me know the exact issue which you are facing with the laptop, so that I can help you further.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

June 30th, 2013 19:00

Hi Clint,

I am sorry for the delayed response; please try reseating the hard drive and check if the hard drive is detected? In case the hard drive is not detected, try connecting a known good hard drive and check if the hard drive is detected. In case the known good hard drive is not detected then it may be an issue with the cable or the motherboard.

No Events found!