This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 30th, 2009 15:00

proper GPU & CPU temperatures on D630 with Nvidia GPU

What would be normal GPU and CPU Cores temperatures for Latitude D630 with Nvidia onboard?

For example currently with 20% cpu load (Opera, Outlook, Winamp) according to SpeedFan my temperatures are:

GPU: 75 Celsius

Core: 66 Celsius

Core0: 59 Celsius

Core1: 60 Celsius

Maximum GPU temperatures under stress that I remember are about 80-82 Celsius. I do not remember to see temperature lower than 60-something Celsius durring iddle. I think that it is quite hot, am I right or wrong?

April 9th, 2009 08:00

I don't know what the proper temps are, but it looks like you're having the nVidia problem for which Dell has issued an extended warranty. See the blog post and hundreds of customer replies here:

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

Today the Windows Secrets newsletter published a story on this sad situation:

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/090409/#story1

Here's the core of that article:

-------------

For tens of thousands of people who bought Dell and HP notebooks whose motherboards fried — often a few weeks after their warranty expired — there's nothing mythical about it.

The cause of the machines' fried motherboards is an overheating Nvidia graphics chip. The failure rate is so huge that Nvidia had to take a $196 million charge against earnings in the second quarter of its 2008 fiscal year in anticipation of the reimbursements that would result from the faulty GPU

What's particularly scandalous, though, is how HP and Dell first handled the deluge of complaints from customers with notebooks that failed after their warranties expired. The companies either charged the customers (victims?) for repairs or refused service because the systems were past the warranty period.

Even worse, HP and Dell continued to sell notebooks with the same Nvidia chip long after the companies were aware of the problem. (Ultimately, Nvidia released a new version of the GPU that didn't cause overheating.)

Unwary consumers who purchased the affected notebooks — no doubt based in part on the heady reputations of the vendors — were left in the lurch when their PCs failed, which usually occurred after 18 months or so. The purchasers had no recourse except to yell and scream at clueless tech-support reps.

When the heat from consumer complaints became as hot as the faulty Nvidia chip, HP and Dell relented and published a list of defective model numbers on their Web sites. Dell extended the standard one-year warranty to two years for the systems they identified as having the problem. HP offered a 24-month warranty extension for the specific issue.

However, instead of issuing a recall — as you would expect in such a clear case of a defective part — the vendors instead merely offered a BIOS upgrade. The "patch" for the affected notebooks made their fans run continuously in an attempt to lower the GPU-induced heat, which was cooking the motherboards onto which the chips were soldered.

This "fix" merely extended the time before the motherboards finally burned out while simultaneously devouring the machines' battery life — sort of like putting a Band-Aid on a coronary. Of course, notebook purchasers became further inflamed by the power drain on their systems due to the constantly running fan.

(Unlike Dell and HP, Apple quickly acknowledged the presence of the defective Nvidia chip in some MacBook Pro notebooks and offered repairs or replacements to its customers.)

-------------

I have a D630 w/nVidia that has begun doing bizarre things on video, resulting in a BSoD and nv4_disp error message; since I have an external LCD monitor running, in my recent tech call, the tech checked that out and recommended I replace the docked profile file. Well, that lasted for about a day. Then I did some more research and found that some people with this problem had success upgrading to the latest nVidia graphics driver. Did that, but the problem is back.
Now I see the Windows Secrets story! Looks like I will be replacing this laptop a lot earlier than I thought.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

April 9th, 2009 10:00

The D630 DOES NOT USE the Nvidia chip that is a problem in some systems. Most causes of high temps are dust bunnies in the vents and improper installation of the heat-pipe CPU/GPU coolers

The 75°C video temp may be normal, but...A temp of 82°C under stress is fine.

Download I8kfangui to use as a temp monitor and fan controller. You can use it to set a fan vs. temperature profile that is better than the Dell standard profile in the BIOS.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 15th, 2009 09:00

KirkD: and 95C under stress (viewing Manhattan in 3D in Google Earth after 1 minute with CPU load ~50% or playing Counter Strike Source for few minutes with CPU load ~80-95%) is fine?

3 weeks ago I've got a new motherboard from Dell after complaining on the temeratures. Durring the switch Dell worker applied also new paste onto the processors. The result was great - overall temperatures has lowered by 10-14C. Unfortunately this new motherboard had broken mediaport so I had to call for another replacement. This time Dell worker did not apply any paste and the results are temperatures somewhere in the middle between the original motherboard with probably faulty GPU and the first replacement.  

I am curious will propper application of a good quality paste will solve the case and lower the temperatures by few degrees? Should I replace the heatpipe instalation to get a new and clean one without remainings of old no-name pastes and termoadhesive tapes? Because most probably GPU on the new motherboard is fine, right? (GPU, CPU, HDD temps higher only few degrees instead of over 10).

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

April 16th, 2009 21:00

Hard to say without knowing the exact configuration. The only laptop I have been inside of is an E6000. In this case, the GPU chip comes out with it's heat pipe and the heat sink is not removed from the GPU. The CPU is removed after taking off it's heat pipe, and transfer compound needs to be replaced after cleaning the contact surfaces. Some CPU/GPUs use a heat transfer pad that can be replaced. You need to use the old or a replacement pad. If no pad is used, the heat pipe may not tighten up enough for good heast transfer.

I checked the manual for the D630 and see that the CPU uses a heat pad that will need no heat transfer paste. All you can do is replace the pad if it gets damaged. The diagrams did not show any video controller that used a heat pipe, probably because the model they used had integrated video. They didn't show anything for the Nvidia upgrade video processor. If the CPU used a heat pad, heat transfer paste should not have bee used.

I wouldn't do any work if the machine is still underwarranty. Call them back and explain that the temps are not where they should be.

1 Message

May 12th, 2009 09:00

The D630 DOES NOT USE the Nvidia chip that is a problem in some systems. Most causes of high temps are dust bunnies in the vents and improper installation of the heat-pipe CPU/GPU coolers

The 75°C video temp may be normal, but...A temp of 82°C under stress is fine.

Download I8kfangui to use as a temp monitor and fan controller. You can use it to set a fan vs. temperature profile that is better than the Dell standard profile in the BIOS.

Kirk,

Most of what you said above is good advice, but you're wrong about the D630 video chip.  At least some were built with the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M GPU which is the source of the overheating problems and resultant instability.  Yes,  I own one, and I'm sure Dell made more than one D630 configured this way.

Charlie

August 3rd, 2009 15:00

One of our corporate D630's just experienced the NVIDIA bug.....I went through 3 separate DELL technicians before getting a replacement motherboard shipped out under warranty. For those having similar problems here's what led me to the diagnosis of the partial failure of the NVIDIA chipset.

1) Laptop would not show image on the laptop LCD even though the unit would boot to external monitor.
2) When attempting to boot to WinXP on external monitor there were 50-60 blue vertical dashed lines
3) XP would never boot getting a BSOD infinite loop nv4_disp error
4) Unit would boot and run diagnostics shown on external monitor

I had to chew through three Level 1 technicians to get a resolution which caused me to waste over 2 hours of my time which is unacceptable. Sternly force them to look through their technical documentation regarding the KNOWN NVIDIA problem and make them consult with a LEVEL 2 TECH.

Good luck!

August 4th, 2009 08:00

Hi,

i have a problem with my D630 with nvidia gpu. My mainboard wrecked up last month because of nvidia gpu errors. Don´t have warranty by dell anymore. I buyed a refurbished mobo on e-bay and replaced it. Now i have a working laptop with loud noises of the fan. The Fan runs often. My i8kfan tool says that cpu is running under stress sometimes at 90-95°C (idle between 40-50°C) and nvidia graphics chip about 70 - 85°C. When i changed mobo I don´t changed thermal pads of nvidia gpu and don´t changed heat transfer paste of cpu. I now have the problem not to boot in safe mode of WinXP anymore. The laptop is booting up, eyerthing seems okay but at some time fan is running up full speed and then laptop turns off completely alone. I think it´s a thermal problem. In Windows booting up without problems for hours. When i enter BIOS and the laptop is staying in BIOS, after 1 Minute it running hot, the fans speed up at full speed and after some time laptop turn off automatically. Now I openend up laptop again to see whats wrong in there. I saw that the two pads of nvidia gpu (there are two chips?) are very used and not i an good condition. The CPU heat transfer paste is also not in a good state. The fan is clean and runs well. Now i am searching for a solution.  I want to replace the two pads of the gpu and buy new thermal paste for cpu. The Pads i found in ebay are for the gpu, right?: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260414230055&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Can someone say me if this pads are the right ones for the 2 gpu chips?

What do i have to buy for the CPU Heat Transfer Paste? Can´t find anything about the heat transfer paste.

Any informations are welcome.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 24th, 2009 14:00

Well.. higher tempreatures are back in my case (~70-73 celsius for GPU in idle, 42-44 celsius for hdd). So I hear the cooler all the time again, laptop is to hot to keep it on my couch (which is very hard and flat - not any flufy one), and overall recently whole system started to work slower (it appears as hdd would start to read slower - some damage from higher temperature?).

Earlier hdds of my laptops did not work in temps higher than 37-38 celsius, my mother's d620 with nvidia chipset that works OK has ~60 celsius in idle, up to 69  under stress (whereas mine reaches >80 celsius), my friends hp laptop with geforce 8400GT reaches about ... 60 celsious under stress...

I've started to dislike my D630 due to nvidia issue, that is fifth Dell - maybe I should switch to something else if Dell cannot deal with such a big worldwide issue?

I suppose that there are not any new good news for the users with the nvidia issue?

September 4th, 2009 20:00

I am having a problem, if not exactly the same as yours, very similar to yours. This is my first Dell laptop purchase and I bought it used about a year ago. It worked fine until about two weeks ago, then overheated and will no longer show anything but a black background with green vertical lines. Can you please give me the telephone number to reach a technician in their business division? Thanks for your help.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 21st, 2009 16:00

sleepin1227: and from what country you are? I'm from Poland so I can provide you telephone number for polish business support.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 22nd, 2009 01:00

in my case the only issue were temperatures, no problems with video on the screen. Dell changed my motherboard with no problems after 2 calls.

But still I think that temperatures are to high - they improved by few Celsius but in my opinion they are still to high (I would like to see GPU at 60C max durring iddle, not ~70C) - bottom of the laptop is to hot to use it comfortably on a couch, etc - definately hotter than my previous D600 with Ati, inpiron 1510 with nvidia and D620 with nvidia (idle at 57-60)...

1 Message

April 3rd, 2011 04:00

Hi NOFEAR54321,

I have very same problem - laptop is  randomly shutting down in bios, or in win safe mode. How did you solve this issue?

Thanks

11 Posts

May 7th, 2011 15:00

I found a copper shim kit on ebay, which came with sandpaper (to clean off the crusty old heat sink compound, new heat sink goop (the good stuff), several pre-cut thick copper shims, and on line instructions.  You have to do a laptop teardown, so if you're uncomfortable taking things apart find someone who can do it.   If your system has already failed, there's a Florida company that will repair and attempt to reflow the gpu chip, restoring it to proper operation for a flat fee of $125.  Just google HP DV9000 video overheating.  At idle, with an ambient room temp of 79.3, at idle my 2.0 Ghz D630 with the NVS135 is running in the mid 40 degrees C, about 44-46.  Using Tech PowerUP's temperature monitoring program.  The ebay seller sells two kits, you have to remove the keyboard to see which heatsink Dell part you have, it's on a sticker on the top side of the heatsink.

I removed the blue heat sink pad from the NVidia leg of the heat sink, and left it off.  Although the instructions said to install two of the heat sink copper squares, it came with two larger and one smaller one.  I installed all three, because with the heat sink bolted down it wasn't quite tight enough with just two shims.  I also scraped and redressed the dried and cracked thermal compound contacting the Intel CPU.
By the way when I removed the heat sink assembly (this was a refurbished Laptop purchased from Microcenter) there was a large dust bunny blocking the heat sink assembly, so if nothing else get a good led flashlight and a magnifying glass and check to make sure the cooling fins are clean.

No Events found!