Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2009 14:00

random shutdown with Studio XPS 16 (1640)

Hi,

Tried searching the forums, but no luck finding the same issue.

My studio xps 16 will randomly shutdown. No BSOD, hardware just stops, similar to pulling the power cord (but the battery is in, so not the issue).

Looks like it could be overheating, but fear if I call support they'll have me re-install vista again, run diagnostics, ... (which I all did) and won't get me far.

Anyone facing the same issue?

14.4K Posts

October 1st, 2009 15:00

You could be right about the heat. Pick up a copy and run it of CPU-z. This will monitor your system temps and display it in the task bar. Make sure you are running AO6 bios or A10 bios updates.

1 Message

February 13th, 2010 21:00

I had this issue in my first week of using my XPS 16 and was quite worried what could be causing it. I noticed the system heat was way above any other notebook I've had before (hitting 70 celsius regularly) so I ended up building a notebook cooler out of some old CPU fans and a file binder, inspired by a youtube video. Now CoreTemp and HDTune say the CPU and HDD temps are around 45 and 40 celsius when on idle. BTW, I'm in Malaysia where the weather is 32 celsius on a good day. Under load, CPU temps don't go above 65 celsius and the HDD remains cool at 45 celsius. Since most reviews of commercial coolers say to expect a 5 degree cooling effect, this isn't bad results for a D.I.Y cooler! Touchwood no more sudden shutdowns but if it ever happens again, I'll be sure to post here again.

January 6th, 2014 05:00

hi am having same issue xps studio 1640 ...so far last 3 months am struggling the random shutdown problem ...really i fed up with dell product. still no luck finding this issue..if anybody know pls help me.....am struggling lot...  

No Events found!