Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 18th, 2017 04:00

realtek driver for inspiron 7559 audio quality

I didn't use an audio driver for a while 'cos then the laptops sub-woofer makes annoying sounds, but now i usually use my laptop at home so I've been using audio system instead of laptop speakers.

But the dell audio program recognizes speakers as headphones, and then i noticed that when there's heavy bass(and i don't listen to music on high volumes) the overall audio gets quieter, as if loudness equalization is being turned on, there is no chance that my 2x 300w speakers that are connected through an amplifier can't handle this sound, there s a tweeter, mid ranger and 2 woofers in each speaker, besides i haven't encountered this problem before i installed the driver, or on other computers. If the amp was the problem, it would overheat heavily, not dampen the sound.

Is there a solution or an alternative to this driver?

EDIT: Speaker enhancement option set to on causes this, also causes overall volume to reduce a bit, although it would be fine if it just kept same volume all the time it further raises and lowers it depending on what's doing on, which makes my ears bleed.

I am trying to reduce the load on the amp and just use PC to equalize and enhance the sound, bypassing those settings on the amp itself.

I m not expecting miracles though, just want to know if some tinkering would help.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 19th, 2017 06:00

@saltgrass

I sent you a private message. Let me know if you didn't get it, because I sent you one once before and I'm not sure they are getting through.

@sp0ng3b0t

When using the native driver, you can defeat the loudness eq or bass boost on the Enhancements tab of the Speaker properties. (In the Windows sound dialog, right click on Speakers and select properties, then the Enhancements tab, and put a check in the Disable all enhancements tab).

If you do this, you should be getting the purest signal that the laptop can put out, so any other effects are coming from either your amp or the media player you are using. All of the common media players have enhancements.

When using the Realtek driver, the audio is heavily effected by Waves. You might not be able to disable Waves without loosing the popup you need, but I would at least go through the Waves setting and turn off as much as possible. However, I would first use the native driver and turn off enhancements to determine whether the problem is being caused by something other than the audio driver.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 18th, 2017 09:00

i haven't encountered this problem before i installed the driver

Your best bet would be to switch from the Realtek driver to the Windows native audio driver, if possible. One of these 2 methods work with most Dell laptops, but some of the tablet hybrids with Win10 can't do it. If neither method works, try to disable the Waves software, which is probably causing the problem.

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked [but SEE NOTE].
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, sometimes you have to restart, sometimes not.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

NOTE: if you have a 2-in-1 model and do not see a "High Definition Audio" option after step 6, then uncheck "Show compatible hardware". Then in step 7, if you see 2 "High Definition Audio" devices, select the 2nd one. On some models the native driver is called Intel High Definition Audio.

The other way to switch to the native audio driver is to remove all of the Realtek driver files.
1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, Video & Game Controllers" section.
3. Right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio" and select to uninstall.
4. Put a check mark in the option to delete the driver software, and then ok.
5. Restart the laptop and go back to the Device Manager and check again for a Realtek driver. Keep uninstalling & restarting until Realtek no longer appears under Sound...Controllers and "High Definition Audio Device" appears in its place. "High Definition Audio Device" is the name of the native driver.
[The reason you might have to go through the process more than once is because the driver files for more than one Realtek driver could be on the hard drive. When a Realtek driver is removed, the next one gets installed if Windows can locate the files. Windows installs its generic driver only after all Realtek files have been removed.]

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 18th, 2017 10:00

But the dell audio program recognizes speakers as headphones,

If I am looking at the correct system, it has the combined audio port.  If that is your configuration, you need the Waves popup to pick what device is plugged in.

When you get the driver installed correctly, you will be given the choice of speakers and what type.  That default setting should help with at least some of your problems.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 18th, 2017 11:00

@Saltgrass well, that solves the headphones part, i haven't unplugged the jack since I've installed the drivers, re-plugged it and it popped a selection.

@jimco thanks for this option, i was running native driver up until now, although it does not offer sound as good as realtek driver, it works fine for laptop speakers.

The problem still persists though, when i switched to speakers it became a bit better. Still, it looks like automatic loudness equalization, gets louder when there s less bass, quieter when there s a heavy bass load, maybe there is an option to turn it off somehow or tinker with it? seems like  speaker enhancement option set to on causes this even on low volumes

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 18th, 2017 21:00

What speaker system do you have?  I assume it plugs into the one combined audio port and you have set the speaker configuration for the 5.1 speaker system?

My 5.1 system has 3 or 4 plugs on my Desktop so I can't relate to a system with just the one plug..

No Events found!