Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 4th, 2009 18:00

replacement mother board d600

i recently replaced a mother board in my d600 laptop with a board i purchased in the wraper on e-bay. the board part # is u0996 i put in a 17ghz chip that was on my mother board . Now when it boots it shows the chip as being a 17ghz but running at 600mhz . also when xp pro boots up it sees it at 1700mhz and the memory at only 230 instead of the 260 it is supposed to be. Ant ideas to straiten this out would be appreciated. The board did not come with a drivers disc. is there one on line that might take care of this . This is the part number that dell gave me for a replacement #.  Thank you for your time

LOU 

22 Posts

May 5th, 2009 08:00

Now when it boots it shows the chip as being a 17ghz but running at 600mhz
  When you say it shows the chip at 600 MHz is that in BIOS or Windows?  The laptop is running SpeedStep which slows down the chip when the system isn't very active, saving power and producing less heat.  After you start and are using a few applications, if you have the My Computer Properties page open you'll probably see the speed of the chip jump to 1.7 GHz.

the memory at only 230 instead of the 260 it is supposed to be
  I'm assuming you mean the amount of RAM?  The system is using some of your main RAM for video memory so you would see a different amount available to Windows.  If you meant the speed of the RAM, are you sure the RAM is the proper specification for a D600?  Check the RAM spec. you have installed against the spec listed in the D600 User Guide, available for viewing or download on Dells System Manuals page.

Also, when you swapped out the systemboard, did you reload WinXP Pro or did you just plug everything back in and boot?  Dell gave you a replacement # for the board but unless it was the same revision as the board it replaced, you might have a chipset driver (and possibly other drivers) mismatch between the components on your board and the drivers on your hard drive.  You might still want to think about doing a fresh install of XP Pro and drivers; the machine will be a lot more responsive.  If you do that, be aware that there is a specific order to reinstalling drivers, there's a link to install order off of the Drivers and Downloads page.

I probably asked more questions than I answered but I hope that helps.

alzan

1 Message

May 7th, 2009 18:00

Hi Lou

I was reading your meesage and thought I would reply.....I too have to replace my mother board with the same part number....are you willing to sell your's?

1.7 GHz equals 1700 MHz and your memory out put may be offset with a dedicated amout to your Cache so it may read only availabe amount 600 MHz speed is your buss spead and has nothing to do with the processor speed except it has to be at that same freq to be a proper replacement... it sounds like everything is in order just remember that 0ne point seven gigihertz equals seventeen hundred megihertz its the same speed....best of luck...any questions you can reach me at < ADMIN NOTE: Email removed per Privacy policy >

11 Posts

June 1st, 2009 16:00

I re loaded xp pro and the drivers in the order they were given per the instructions. The machine runs but loses the nic card and has choppy video . The sound plays before the pictyure and very slow. I rtied driver detective but it did not  work . I tried the dell reset program but it does not work. any Ideas would be greatly appreciated .  i would like to straiten this out without going to deep in the $ dept. As the prices on laptops are falling but none are as in destuctable as the lattitudes without taking out a second mortgagae . Thanks in advance for any help . Is there anywere to get a remote hook up without alot of $ involved i am sure this is something simple i just can not get ecry tech out here wants $100 just to look at the machine.

LOU

11 Posts

June 1st, 2009 20:00

re  loaded xp pro , re installed drivers per instructions . ethernet drivers do not want to stay and the audio is way before the video playing a dvd or an online movie . any sugestions would be helpfull . Thanks in advance

Lou

No Events found!