Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

June 26th, 2014 06:00

wifi connection

I bought a new laptop and it has Bluetooth however, it doesn't connect to wifi. Do I need to install a Bluetooth/Wifi driver or am I missing something? I need to connect to a wifi for travelling.

7 Posts

no networks detected. I have Bluetooth but was wondering if I needed Wi-Fi + Bluetooth driver installed. I used the manual diagnostics and it said no hardware found

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

Hi ctcarp.

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum.

Are you able to see any network? If yes, then what is the message that you get when you try to connect to the network.

Do let me know if you have any further assistance.

Would be glad to assist you!

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

June 26th, 2014 08:00

Hi ctcarp.

You may check the device manager and check under network adapter if you see your wireless drivers listed. You can install the drivers from http://dell.to/1hcxG98.Type in the Service Tag, click on Drivers, select the OS type and install the listed drivers accordingly.

You may also try going to PC setting, check if the wireless is turned on and airplane mode is turned off.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, or press the Windows logo key+C.
  2. Tap or click Settings.
  3. Tap or click Change PC Settings.
  4. Tap or click Wireless.
  5. Tap or click an affected device to turn it on again.

Do let me know if you have further queries.

7 Posts

June 26th, 2014 09:00

I am using windows 7 - 

I checked the device manager and there isnt a network adapter for wireless.? I can see the intel proset wireless screen it is installed but not enabled. IS it disabled in the bios?

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

June 26th, 2014 10:00

Hi,

You may right click on intel proset wireless and see if it gives you an enable option and also you can try the Fn and F2 Key on your keybaord. Try installing windows Mobility center.

7 Posts

June 30th, 2014 05:00

I tried alot of different things still not working. I can see the hardware installed in the system info.just not enabled enabled with fn+f2 but enabled hardware wise. I do a diagnosis and it says hardware not found. This is very frustrating. I need to give this laptop to a user ASAP - Wifi is pretty standard on laptops  

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

July 1st, 2014 10:00

Hi,

When was the last you were able to connect to the internet. You may trying doing a system restore and if you have already tried that, then you might have to back up the data and reset the system to factory setting.

How to perform a system restore for Windows 7 http://dell.to/T5jeF9

7 Posts

July 1st, 2014 11:00

I just purchased the laptop and received it last week when I first posted this incident = New

11 Posts

July 1st, 2014 12:00

If you have the laptop band new, all should be already installed. Your description of problem isnt very good, those 2 wifi/bluetooth are 2 separete technologies.
They might be on same card but work separetely.

The best thing would be to contact phone support and you will resolve it within one call.

Both wifi and bluetooth need driver installed and you should be able to find wifi networks once wifi is turned on and also enabled in BIOS.

Same with bluetooth, you can find devices like phone etc...

Find the number for your country and call them :)
If you want to, you can let us know what was it and next time we might help you better :)

Marian

7 Posts

July 1st, 2014 12:00

I have a number and will be calling them tomorrow. This is puzzling as wifi is usually the first thing to see when starting up on other laptops that I have worked on and this is a just a mere joining network and vpn setup and I am done with it. I looked in the bios and didnt see a setting for wireless should there be one?

Thank you Geoffrey R for your responses

No Events found!